Star Trek: The Next Generation

Den Nic

Thanks for this great post. My name is Scott Bernard my father Alan Bernard was the production sound mixer on STNG. Alan joined the motion picture industry in the 1960's so by the time he mix STNG he had many tricks to get good sound. The bridge set was one that was most challenging he could have as many as 8 or 9 actors with speaking parts. He would plant mics in every nuck and cranny. He had special pouches built into each costume for the radio transmitters but as someone mentioned some costumes just had no place to hide the mic.

Alan was very proud of his crew and they work they did on STNG. As you may already know Alan won several Emmy’s for his work on STNG. I have many great memories of my visits to the set. If anyone has a question go ahead and post it I will try and answer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I always thought the sound on the syndicated Star Trek shows was often stellar (no pun intended), absolutely first-class, especially for TV -- even more astonishing for syndicated TV. They're now redoing all the TNG shows for Blu-ray, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they look in HD -- more than two decades after they were shot!

I always thought the sound on the syndicated Star Trek shows was often stellar (no pun intended), absolutely first-class, especially for TV -- even more astonishing for syndicated TV. They're now redoing all the TNG shows for Blu-ray, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they look in HD -- more than two decades after they were shot!

I'm going to hedge my bets and say that I do HOPE they are completely re-scanning from the original negatives... I've seen some re-broadcasts on BBC America of the TNG episodes... OMG, did they film it on 8mm? So terribly grainy throughout, and runs to soft focus once in a while... Wow that looks terrible. Granted, this is something that was filmed 20 years ago, and I'm watching it on a digital satellite broadcast on HDTV (and BBCa isn't HD on DirecTV yet)... But damn.

So I pulled out my own DVD collection and tossed one into the Blue-Ray... It looked the same. Ouch. DS9 looks a bit better, and I'm hoping that Voyager is better still (haven't checked that one yet). Any hints if they are re-scanning to maximize the resolution / color spectrum? I don't think an up-res of whatever is currently being distributed will satisfy true Trekkies.

Ooooooohhh... I'm VERY impressed with that, I hope it lives up to that! The only comment I might have is that I'm afraid all the space stuff might look TOO polished and computer generated if they completely redo all the FX like it seems they might have. Some of the shots of the ship just seem "off" to me, but it might also be my memory of the show / shots they showed and then the stark contrast of the HD version.

I love how the bridge stations and the LCARS panels look in the Blue-Ray version. I can see myself using the pause button a lot to read the panels looking for inside jokes! :D

I believe the restoration work is being done at CBS TV City, in a Lustre room run by the Viacom guys. We had bid on this project when I was at Technicolor a few years ago, and I worked on a 10-minute scene as a demo. The 24-year-old negative held up extremely well, as did the Nagra tapes. The stuff looked and sounded like it was shot five years ago, not decades ago -- super sharp and vivid. I have no doubt the new transfers will look great, and maybe give new life to a classic 1980s show.

so first and foremost I offer great respect and admiration to Alan Bernard and those of you on this forum that helped bring everyone years of wonderful television, it's an unattainable dream of mine to join the sound crew of the Enterprise-D! Expertly and exquisitely executed, I can't wait to see (and hear, more appropriately) your work on blu-ray as it's been deserving for far too long. As I've been informed by a friend that is decidedly not into TNG the transfers are about as wonderful as can be imagined!

So hey, thanks a ton for your hard work. I appreciate it.

I do have a question regarding season 3 episode 2 - The Ensigns of Command: Just what exactly is the deal with the ADR on Gosheven? It's so bizarre, a character sounding so immensely out of place even in CUs, there's even foley on his sarcastic clapping! Was there some sort of wireless issue or was the actor non-compliant? At any rate, no complaints, just curious! I had to point it out to my roommates watching it at the time and figured I'd never get the chance to explain the circumstance, haha.

Just what exactly is the deal with the ADR on Gosheven? It's so bizarre, a character sounding so immensely out of place even in CUs, there's even foley on his sarcastic clapping! Was there some sort of wireless issue or was the actor non-compliant? At any rate, no complaints, just curious!

It was a TV show, done on a relatively tight schedule and a realistic budget. Often, it's more a question of time than money. In post, we often use that old adage attributed to French poet Paul Vallery, modified for TV: "TV projects are never finished... they're abandoned." You run outta time, it's gotta air, so you let it go as-is.

• 1 month later...