Star Trek: The Next Generation

Den Nic

Hey guys, I'm re watching all the Star Trek TNG episodes (my friend got the DVD box set), and I'm wondering if anybody knows anything about the location audio on that show?

What mics? Did they use lavs? Etc. A lot of the shots sound distant (suggesting boom) but sometimes I just don't see how you could get in there and boom it with the low ceilings.

Also found a picture of a fisher boom on set:

Anything info would be great!

post-3351-0-75315200-1327814263.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like maybe a 416, which was the likely choice for most tv at that time. Alan Bernard was the mixer on that. Sadly he passed away in December. An article about him in the most recent 695 Quarterly says that "between 1987 and 2001 he recorded 170 episodes of “The Next Generation” and 98 episodes of its sequel: “Voyager.” Entire article here http://695quarterly.com/

Wait, how'd they get that giant camera dolly rig onto the bridge? The turbolift doors aren't big enough, and they would need to push back the screen....

What do you mean it was a SET??? :o

I'll just be over here in the corner clutching my knees and sobbing quietly for the ruination of my dream of being a Starfleet officer.

Where did they hide that on Seven of Nine's uniform?

Next gen forever man.

I think it should have been written into his contract that he got to "personally" check the placement of her lav each and every day. Ditto for Troi, but hiding the pack would be a challenge in any case. They didn't have the super-small transmitters like the Sennheiser stuff today, or the Lectro SMA packs. I would suspect that (sadly) Jeri couldn't be lav'd, unless the pack was down around her ankle. That outfit just wouldn't allow it, and they didn't write anything into the plot that she still had some "borg gear" mounted on her hip.

Realistically... I think the armpit is the only above-the-waist location that might be usable for hiding a pack, male or female actor. Most of the time, they aren't raising their arms so it shouldn't show if the thing was small enough.

I've shot two movies with Star Trek Voyager alum - Ethan Philips (Neelx) and Robert Picardo (the doctor). I asked them about sound and most of the time Boom mics carried the day. Wires were mainly for the waking down the hall stuff. Both actors were very open to talking about their time on the show. It was a real treat!

I've met a number of the cast members from each of the series at conventions (Ok, yes, I'm that kind of geek, but I don't dress up for the conventions) and I found them all to be extremely nice, friendly individuals. Patrick Stewart was a particular treat, his discussion period was great, and they piped it into the hallway where people had been lined up for the autograph line since the morning, so everyone got to hear him.

They had said that only about 300 people would get the autographs, b/c of time constraints on his flight, but when he finished the talk and came out to start the autographs, word was sent down the MUCH longer line that he wanted to ensure everyone got a chance - So he had his agent change his flight time. He also took the time to say hello or answer a question with each person in line. Absolutely incredible guy.

If anyone has a DVD player that will play Region 2 (Europe) discs I've found that ordering things from www.amazon.co.uk winds up costing a lot less than ordering from Amazon US.

They have the complete STNG set for less than $120.(http://www.amazon.co...27901502&sr=1-2). Shipping is usually cheap and I get things ordered from them in about a week. The same thing from Amazon US is $275 plus shipping.

On another note many years ago I photographed an event in DC at which the entire cast of STNG appeared (black tie event). When I mentioned to Brent Spiner (Data) that Gene Rodenberry was also at the event (and where he was) he went nuts, rounded up the entire cast for me and they all posed for a photo with him (I sent them all prints). For a geek like me (I was one of the kids that wrote in to protest the impending cancellation of the first ST series) it was awesome....

I spent seven seasons doing the 2nd unit (and occasional 1st unit) production sound for TNG and DS9.

" they followed the Prime Directive of booms over lavs. "

we did, indeed. mostly Schoeps, TNG shot on stages 8,9 (standing sets --The Enterprise) with other stages as needed for swing sets. It was also very rare to leave the lot. DS9 also had 2 stages, across the breezeway, for standing sets, including shuttlecraft. The Promanade was a difficult set to work on... The actors were all super terrific. There was no adlibbing, or improvising at all.

verrrrry little (just about none!) wireless or lav's, but sometimes plants. The Fisher was Greg Agelsoft's and was very useful on some (TNG) big sets (Bridge, Cargo Bay). For the bridge, mostly the front viewer screen was off --and a big deal to put into place...

The shows placed a high value on production sound, and if I ever said: "I'd like another", the imediate response was: "Going Again... back to number one..."

When Alan or I rang the bell, two security guards outside the stages would stop traffic for us; in short there was very little looping.

Frequently on second unit the DP was the original (Shatner) DP. great stories...