H2a Hydrophone experiences?

Dennis Kersten

I'm very interested in this microphone, can anybody share some experiences? Maybe on other hydrophones? Also interested in opinions about stereo vs. mono hydrophone recordings.

http://www.aquarianaudio.com/

For an upcoming documentary I'm going to do some experiments with underwater recordings and create a nice library for post.

While I cannot say anything specific about the H2a-XLR, It appears to be a lower cost unit to the ones I have used in the past.

generally speaking the recording from hydra-ohines aren't really what post wants; as with a lot of SFX, they prefer to craft their own version of what they think it ought to sound like. The main uses of these is for research, industry, medical and military,or for auditory enhancement effect.

The cost of these units is reasonable enough to give them a try; as for stereo, sound travels differently underwater, but even at the cost of two, it certainly is worth trying out, and then you can let us all know about it! ::)

Although I have not used this particular hydrophone, it looks like a good item. Due to the peculiar audio characteristics of water, I'm not sure if the sound quality is easily discernible for comparison. However, I have used similar devices with good results. I also used a Countryman EMW for a scene in a movie with screaming underwater and I was quite happy with it.

Sound travels very fast underwater so the normal stereo phase issues and timing would be totally different. I'm not sure a 'stereo' underwater recording would be perceived in the same way.

Nice job - so did you used the Soundfield for all water stuff?

Thanks!

Usually, the main microphone was a Soundfield SPS200, the microphone was place above us (unattended), on the top rocks (No more than 10m), for get the detail, I was with a NTG3 3m above the fishermen (hung on the cliffs), I was as close as I could without wetting the microphone and the recorder, (both microphones was time-aligned on the edition). But, the main part of the final sound is the Soundfield.

The first day I tried with a radio mic on the arm of the fisher, the capsule wrapped on a condom and the radio on two watertight bags, unfortunately the radio was loosed and sank in the first minutes. :'(

So since the soundfield was high above you did you run into its own recorder or did you cable it into the same recorder as the NTG3 and the H2a?

The Soundfield had his own recorder (SD 788) and the NTG 3/H2a too had his recorder (SD 702).

I had some problems with the 702 and the humidity, but the conditions was very extreme for any device.

Now I'm working in the design of a new production in Afghanistan and I'll use too more than one recorder, maybe a Nomad as main, and several ZFR in the troops (for avoid the radio interferences)

Check out this link, Chris Watson shows setting up and recording 2 hydrophones on the beach.. geophones then strictly.. but I imagine a bit of stereo could be quite nice.

http://www.chriswatson.net/downloads.html

I have an H2A but havnt tested it out yet. DPA make hydrophones if you want the best.

The big problem of a stereo on the water is the velocity of sound is 4 times faster, this circumstance requires a big baffles between the transductors for a good stereo separation.

As well the sound of the things on the water don't sound like appear