NAS

Richard Ragon

I posted this on my facebook page, and it occurred to me that some of you might like this one for it's geek factors.

This is a photo of my NAS server, basically it's my cloud thats in my house. It runs hidden in a closet downstairs normally, but I pulled it out and put it on my desk. Notice the red light, over the drive #2.. it failed, after only 4 months. But, with this unit, it's RAID6. Which means that I can loose 2 drives, and still no problems.

QNAP_NAS.jpg

I have x5 2.5TB drives, which gets me just under 7TB of personal cloud storage.

I use this single machine to (time machine) backup 5 computers, XBox, 6 smart phones, and 10 cameras generating a mountain of data each year. Not to mention my sound file back ups, personal backups, music library, DVD library, TV show library, and digital downloads.

Also, because it's a personal cloud, it can be accessed via XBox, Playstation, computers internal or remote, or WD Live boxes that I have on every TV set in the house, turning each TV into a video or music juke box on demand..

It also runs a webserver, FTP, SSH, and VPN remotes too..

So, to fix this, I'll just pop in a new drive, don't even have to turn it off.

Anyway.. in this crazy digital world we live in.. I think everyone should have something like this..

-Richard

Very cool! We're still using Sneaker Net in my house, but it works 100%. (Just not automatically.)

Watch out with RAIDs. I've been involved with situations where the RAID controller card blew out and took all the drives with it. Luckily, we did have a backup, but what nobody realized is that it would take 48 hours to restore the material! This is no fun when you're running a business with time-sensitive jobs...

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool! We're still using Sneaker Net in my house, but it works 100%. (Just not automatically.)

Watch out with RAIDs. I've been involved with situations where the RAID controller card blew out and took all the drives with it. Luckily, we did have a backup, but what nobody realized is that it would take 48 hours to restore the material! This is no fun when you're running a business with time-sensitive jobs...

If the raid controler were to fail you just need to purchase another Qnap. Usually what you described would happen if the raid controller is no longer made. sometimes those disks can be put in a different system and be revived. Although you are correct about rebuilding a raid. at best you would be looking 48 hours to rebuild a disk. work around is just copy your data on a work drive while rebuilding the raid.

BTW i have a qnap box and i highly recommend!

My first NAS server was a freebie that you can make yourself.. You just use an old PC case (mobo, power, gfx, etc) then fill it with hard drives. Its a free solution, however, some problems arrise that you don't think about.. 1) Filling the PC case with hard drives, makes it hot.. very hot.. so you then have to install 1-2 more fans in the case.. 2) putting that many fans and hard drives in a case.. it didn't take very long for the stock power supply to just burn up.. 3) Since your running Linux, you have to become familiar with Linux.. something I don't really care about.. but only as a necessity.

The roll your own option seamed great until, you need to upgrade, and I couldn't figure out how to do software updates without breaking something. Then eventual I just ran out of space on the RAID..

The QNAP unit was 600 bucks, but at least you have a unit that’s 'made' to be a RAID, has the easy software/firmware updates, and has the tools and company tech support backing you up. Worth it when you don't want to loose your family video.

Also.. Drobo drives are another NAS drive that a lot of people like. I didn't get a Drobo because the QNAP is more commercial based product, with more features.

-Richard