How the mighty fall: today's equipment price-drop gross-out

Philip Perkins

Earlier this year I had to transfer some DA-88 tapes from 1998. They had not been played since then and had been stored carefully. The were a ton of dropouts and it took three machines to get through them. I know some of the studios used these as archival tapes, I pity their decision.

Doh, that is sad -- archival tapes! I actually made some of those in the 1990s for various studios. God knows how well they play today...

I remember a situation where we were doing dailies on a show, and at the very end of a reel, I hit rewind and the tape completely snarled up inside the DA88 and got jammed-up and jelly tight. A total snafu. I got one of our staff engineers in to take a look at it. An hour later, he carefully extracted the tape -- which was the client's onlymaster -- destroying the machine in the process. He shrugged and said, "it's easier to destroy a $5000 machine than to jeopardize our relationship with the studio. We'll just buy a new one and use what's left for spares."

Since we had traditionally spent $30,000 per 35mm Mag machine, and these were only $5000, they were a bargain! I think right before the company moved, they dropped 11 of them off on the dock for eWaste disposal. Yet another dead format...

The D88 was my first legit pro studio recorder, that I bought used for 800 in 1999. It's last use was in a post house in Atlanta for 5.1 splits for a few indie pictures back in 2008. Then I donated it to an audio school about a year ago. I do remember these machines sounded good to me. My next system in 2001 was pro tools LE 001 and I didn't understand the importance of clocking / converters at the time so being used to the d88 I was convinced the 001 was defective because it just sounded wrong to my ears and eventually started using the d88 as a master clock and a/d converter for the pt system for a few more years. I'm still a PT guy in post but the symphony I/O is my current interface of choice these days and with that I have zero complaints.

This thread inspired me to go on Ebay and look for a cassette deck. I don't own a working one, but have some old cassettes I want to digitize. I found various Tascam 112 models for about $100, which is great considering they were over $1,000 (right?), and cassettes are still very available. More importantly, there are a lot of cassettes that people never moved to another format, but eventually will want to.

I believe TASCAM is the last-man-standing for manufacturing tape cassette products (and MiniDisc for the South America and Asia Markets).

The CC-222SLmkII records cassette to CD in one go. It's a little pricy, I've been pushing for the usual rental places to make these available.

Recording tape into a computer DAW, doing the track separation, flipping the cassette and going again, is not a lot of fun...

This thread inspired me to go on Ebay and look for a cassette deck. I don't own a working one, but have some old cassettes I want to digitize. I found various Tascam 112 models for about $100, which is great considering they were over $1,000 (right?), and cassettes are still very available. More importantly, there are a lot of cassettes that people never moved to another format, but eventually will want to.

I had an (eductional) client who still used cassettes.. up until 2009 anyway. After my 122mkII crapped out, I found a brand new 122mkIII for $200 on Ebay, the shipping box was damaged, but it was returnable.. turns out, the machine was untouched and never even unwrapped. Perfect.. checked with a test tape and other test gear.

BTW, If someone would like the 122 mkII for parts, I'm in the NYC area. No input or output signal, but the transport is fine and was recently re-built.