A Map of The Studio Zone

RPSharman

I live north of the 1st L in Fullerton. Hope Hwood starts shooting in my neighborhood soon, but not at my house. I know the zone all too well, but it is educational for all of us to see the map. This is our world as far as the members who work in So. Cal. A shit load of locations in that circle. Been to most of them. Most are noisy, but somehow they work. That is sound in the real world.

CrewC

I guess I've parked near your house, Crew, in the SE under the black line and subsequently bussed to location.  I've worked under the black line in NNW Castaic (nice for me), parked under the black line in NW Moorpark and NNE Acton (although on this map it looks past it) and bussed, grazed the black line in the W Malibu, driven to the line past E Azusa and bussed, and reached as far as possible to the south - even shooting on boats in Los Angeles Harbor.  And then there were the back to back projects in Brea and La Habra (a.k.a. you can't get there from here).

But next month, I will have the luxury of my first job at the edge of the NE part of the zone in the Angeles National Forest.  It's the "unexplored" quadrant past Mt. Washington.  But since there is nothing there, they're building it.

Travel to "exotic" places, wreak havoc on neighborhoods, and make movies/TV/commercials/etc.  Is this why film crews are somehow lumped in with the Hollywood elite?  Okay, so I am totally elitist, whatever!

Good thing we really do have great jobs. 

Robert

I seem to recall a copy of this map inserted in the LA411 book. Is it still there? Do I recall correctly?

I think also there are a few anomalies - areas that fall outside the boundary line but are (arbitrarily?) counted as inside the line by contractual agreement. These would include the Disney Ranch and Vasquez Rocks.

David Waelder

I seem to recall a copy of this map inserted in the LA411 book. Is it still there? Do I recall correctly?

I think also there are a few anomalies - areas that fall outside the boundary line but are (arbitrarily?) counted as inside the line by contractual agreement. These would include the Disney Ranch and Vasquez Rocks.

David Waelder

David,

I to remember vasquez rocks "out of the zone" but never had to anything about it. (bus to, gas $ etc.)

something like 15+ years ago, when I was in production, "they" always had the prod zone as using land marks- magic mountain (n) to - long beach (s) to - disneyland (e) - to malibu cyn (w) as the chart sharman put up, some of the ladmarks might a tad off. (in each way)

later,

It says 30 mile zone but every job i work on says they use the 50 mile zone rule

Hey Scott, if it's union work, I think you can insist on the 30-mile zone.  If it's non-union, you should still insist on 30 mile and negotiate from there!  Perhaps production companies are referring to the "Contracting Conditions" page on your website, which says:

"Mileage is charged after 50 miles at .50.5 cents per mile - effective 01/01/08"

The off-topic part:

BTW, for your expendables pricing, I was wondering, are companies paying 20 bucks for DVD-Rs ?  And are the 9V @ $5/ea for Alkalines or lithiums?  Or whatever you give 'em?

Reason I ask is that I'm doing a job where the last guy basically charged expendables AT COST ($1.36/9V ; $1 for DVD-Rs).  So I'm trying to find the middle ground.

Brian

Never heard of a 50 mile zone. Is it in the contract? Wouldn't be suprised, we always give up things and seldom get in return. $20 was what we used to charge for dat tape and what we now charge for DVD Rams. Some charge for batteries and others feel they are covered by the 75 dollar radio mic fee, or 15 dollar comtek fee.

CrewC