Parabolic mic (NFL style) used on stage for dialog...? What?

afewmoreyears

The only suggestion I would have would be the Audio Technica AT-895 because that is a full-frequency option for recording at a distance

I'd shy away from that. My experience with the 895 is that it's absolutely brilliant outdoors, or in an anechoic space. But interior echoes confuse it, and it's not much better than a short gun indoors.

Thank you all so much....   

I of course knew all this....  But trying to communicate it many times over to someone who is dead set on it as an option can be difficult....    This worked....  grabbing your text only (no names or info) responses (to a few) did the job... He gets it now....  I also had him call a few of the usual suspects and had him ask...  

To answer a question  Marc.....  yes, sometimes no shirts....  only shorts... 

Thanks again..

For the inverse of the principal, and purely for fun, you could look at the Meyer Sound SB-1.

Before the modern line array, they would be used for long throw sound reinforcement. Meyer managed to get the frequency response of the dish dialed in.

Yea impractical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFMY: " had him ask... "

what was he thinking ?

I really don't know...  I said over and over.... don't even think about it..... he continued to ask about it....  He is a smart guy too, and very nice.... but he wouldn't let this rest until I went through these steps....   now.... all good...  

PARABOLIC RECORDING

I too have a Telinga parabolic dish (and made my own suspension front end for it rather than using any of their various options). And no, I haven't used it for dialogue - excepting the birdie variety.

Many here have spoken about the lack of bottom end - and its relationship to the diameter of the dish. Far more important to understand is that the frequency response characteristic is a steeply rising slope once it's hit its LF starting point (up to its HF cutoff). Using an omni capsule instead of a cardioid brings back some shelf of low end (of direct sound, albeit with some possible phase relationship between that and reflected). But regardless, that's why parabolics sound bright (up to a cutoff that is which could be anywhere between a paltry 5kHz but doubtfully much above 10kHz) ... "suitable" for birdsong - although it's perhaps scientifically less useful if one were trying to capture extreme HF content of same - but the freq response is a million miles away from the flat (or flat + HF boost) you might want for 'natural' dialogue (as opposed to surveillance clarity - which I'd lump NFL in with).

It does have its uses - aside from baritone birdies, it sounds great on violins and children's choirs!

If anyone's interested, there's a very good chapter (basic physics; omni vs card with different size dish and focal length examples; DIY make your own equipment) in the 1977 UK book 'Wildlife Sound Recording" by John B Fisher (which might be found secondhand or in a library) Pelham Books, ISBN 0 7207 1017 0

Jez Adamson