Credit where Credit is due.

jason porter

PK,

"Sometimes, sound post reminds them of us when they say, "we don't need to work on this very much, you had a good PSM" - funnily, they don't usually say, "you had a good boom op"..."

That's because it looks so easy, but of course is not...    The boom ops are ULTRA important as WE all know... Bad boom placement and sound is not what we like, well, bad....      Bad boom placement and they are in shot, Bad boom placement and we see shadows, Bad boom handling and there is noise, Bad Lav mounting and we're dead, bad hustling by a boom op and we're dead, Bad awareness by the boom op and things don't get done...  Bad attitude by the boom op and we look like bad... Grips, electricians and camera folks won't work with us... Dead again...  

HARD F#$@%&* JOB, and difficult to do really well.. Extremely mis understood and disrespected... Bad boom Op = poor sound...  Poor sound = poor project....Period.

I do think there are a lot of Production folks that have no clue exactly what they do or how important they are... If they did, there would be more respect given them and less requests to do without them...  Crew as well...  I just don't think they understand... I or we have no time to teach them... Now were back to, sit back and let it ride off your back... it is what it is...

Reminds me of the line from Jesus that went something like... ( sorry no church background) " Forgive them lord, they no not what they do... "

Reminds me of that funny producer who suggested to have a PA intern on the boom - and every week another one so nobody gets too tired.

You could exchange a mixer more easily than a boomer. Heck, on such a shoot you could put that exchangeable intern there in the chair at the cart, pushing the red button to record isos - with post apparently/sometimes going to isos immediately anyway this would be the faster way than explaining to someone who "thinks with their eyes" how to boom, then still have them deliver bad sound to fix.

But, as I wrote, even audio post folks seem to often forget the most important part of the chain: the boom op.

Good and brave thread.

Got me thinking.....

The invisibility was what I strove for...darned-near-decades of invisibility. It worked but folks forgot about me. Fine. Got good sound, but not memorable.

Decided to work toward more visibility a few years ago.

Dunno how it's going, but...I think it's safe to say the trend is upward.

High school experience as cheerleader and school mascot inform my performances.

As does the hobbyist marketing fan in me.

I take lessons from every professional I encounter, including the ob-gyn who always says what they're about to do to me, and horse people / masseuses who always maintain contact once initiated.

This is as much a performance as anything that happens in front of the camera.

Dance, Poetry. Troubleshooting. All artful.

I call poetic attention to successes. 

FWIW.

IMDB lists 3 Al McGuires in the Sound dept and they are all me and most of the work I've done goes unlisted and I don't care.

I get checks that do not bounce for doing what I love to do, thats all the payback I need,

Sounds like you've reached a peak Al -- or at least a very comfortable plateau -- good for you : )

For those of us who strive for "upward mobility" in our careers, IMDB is often one of the first sources a potential client will access in the vetting process, and therefore an important facet in the collection of information we utilize as "resumé" material.

I can totally empathize with the OP here -- he spent a considerable amount of time on a project to which he developed an attachment -- a sense of acomplishment -- only to learn he was not really given the credit he felt he deserved.

It happens, and yes, we deposit our checks, and life goes on, but as fellow Soundies, we have opportunities to support each other, to further our collective cause (which is important, as other recent threads indicate) so, showing a bit of empathy here might go a long way -- not just for the OP, but for all of us?

~tt