Audio Ltd 2040

vizualize

Hi I was wondering whether AL will come up with something similar to 2040 or if they will upgrade a bit the transmitters of 2040. It seems like the best sounding system. The only strange thing is the mic only output.

Also it is not as easy to find them on the market especially after 1010.

Hi there,

I am not connected with Audio Ltd in any way other than living near their office, and having been a user and happy customer for over 30 years. I know and talk to Kish regularly, but I have no business connection with them.

I think that all of Audio Ltd's R&D is now centered around 1010. Remember that 2040 was a product in development about 8 or more years ago, and was then followed by the EN2 range, which took a good few years. I think that Audio Ltd see the way forward now as being digital, and any return on future investment in analogue kit is unlikely to show viable returns.

At the time that 2040 was being designed, mic level OP was quite common. Are you aware that if you need a line level OP, you can make a lead from the headphone OP of the Rx, which is unbalanced, to you line IP. The unbalanced doesnt really matter as the distance involved is so short.

Kindest regards,

sb

Thank you very much for the headphone tip, I will try it as I really like the way this analog radios sound like and want to use them with the latest of sounddevices mixer/recorders. Do you know the scheme to wire it properly, best appreciated.

I hope in the near future AL will have their digital line developed on the same stage as 2020/2040

What do you mean "as good" is it the lack of the low frequencies?

Do you mean it is not as rich and fat as the mic level. I was planning to mod one of my RK 2 racks to output the headphone level. Will post some photos for suggestions and comments.

Thank you soundtrane for the input

helpfully, the wiring diagrams arent in the 2040 manual. im sure audio ltd will supply them if requested. in the meantime, here is a grab from the 2020 manual.
just use an XLR instead of the jack socket. pins 1 and 3 wired to ground. signal to pin 2.

dont think you will need to modify your RK2 though. just your cables.

if you already have cables, cut the connection in the lemo at pin 6, and move the cable from pin 1 to pin 2. 

Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 09.44.45.png

here is the unpowered balanced mic output cable for reference

Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 09.48.53.png

Thank you for all this info.

I was thinking to wire the headphone cable inside the rack to the lemo board so I can keep the mic output cables working.

As soon as I start it I will post some photos. The mod will save me money and weight.

All your help appreciated

Ok after yesterday's effort the system is working. First impression about the headphone output. The level of the receiver has to be set to the maximum for a decent input level. Sound quality as Soundtrane mentioned not as good as mic. Lets say not so fat and lack of open highs but hey its still an option for 20 bucks which I spend on the connectors.

Here are some photos of the process.

Thank you all for the tips.

Just one question on the diagram there is a resistor on the way which I didn't fit because I don't know the proper value. Will it make any difference to level and sound quality. If someone has a suggestion for the resistor let me know I will fit it and share the results. Best to all that helped me achieve this

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

x4it7d9qh

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 7 years later...

Hi, I live in Windhoek, Namibia. I have two different TX AL 2040, the normal one and the mini ones. I have faced a problem of the normal TX dropping  in a very shot distance sometimes 7m from the receiver while the mini one never cuts even in 80m. What seems to be the problem? Please advice

9 hours ago, Andy Sound Namibia said:

Hi, I live in Windhoek, Namibia. I have two different TX AL 2040, the normal one and the mini ones. I have faced a problem of the normal TX dropping  in a very shot distance sometimes 7m from the receiver while the mini one never cuts even in 80m. What seems to be the problem? Please advice

Check antenna on problem TX. It could be a multitude of reasons why this is happening.

Here is the email address of Manoj (Ex-designer of these systems) who services the 2040 (and 2020) series. If you can get the problem TX to him he will fix it.

mdaudioservices(at)gmail.com