Grounding and home computer setups with usb connections

osa

I have an issue in my home studio set up where I think I have deduced to padded flooring that I walk across to get to my computer set up and then when I sit down and touch something connected via USB like a usb controller etc I get a shock and sometimes even one of my computer monitors will flash off and back on. I have tried to troubleshoot this online and I see a lot of explanations of why it’s caused but I don’t see many offers for solutions. I also suspect it’s because I have an iMac with a few devices connected like powered USB ports, but all tied to the same circuit as far as I recall. Does anyone have any suggestions how I might work towards a solution?

Yep, static electricity. Static electricity can be at levels that are not felt or seen. Don't wear shoes or change the shoes you are wearing. There are other cures. In the meantime, while you read up on that, after you sit down, touch something metal on the computer or monitor if you can. Everything is plastic these days so that may not be possible. You need to find a way to discharge yourself before touching the computer. You still get the shock, but the computer does not. The other thing you can do is take your shoes off once you sit down.

The shoes are an insulator and they rub on the floor and make a charge. Touching the carpet with your body will discharge the static. Some shoes don't do this.

It could be something else, but this is the most-likely.

Ah! Thanks guys this seems obvious enough because I should know that that is what’s happening when I walk across this padded floor. And yes the things that I touch that caused the discharge of static are the metal ones connected via usb. I am going to try to configure something by the door then I can touch on my way in to discharge on!

15 hours ago, osa said:

Ah! Thanks guys this seems obvious enough because I should know that that is what’s happening when I walk across this padded floor. And yes the things that I touch that caused the discharge of static are the metal ones connected via usb. I am going to try to configure something by the door then I can touch on my way in to discharge on!

Static can be very hard on electronics. CE approval requires testing a device against static discharge. This a good thing for the consumer but not 100% foolproof. Get some antistatic spray and spray the padding on the floor. This will stop static for a month or so before it needs to be reapplied. You may need to air the room out before breathing the solvents that carry the antistatic compounds in aeresol spray cans. Here's one that looks like it is water based with a pump sprayer:

https://smile.amazon.com/Anti-Static-Control-Spray-oz-Size/dp/B0026GV5IW/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2MIJS0CZLMAHL&keywords=antistatic+sprays&qid=1669647320&sprefix=antistatic%2Caps%2C175&sr=8-6#customerReviews

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

17 hours ago, osa said:

I am going to try to configure something by the door then I can touch on my way in to discharge on!

If you have hot water or steam heat, a radiator is a real good ground point to discharge yo'self, water pipes are good as well.
Atmospheric lightning is static electricity.. to the n'th degree.

time to replace the floors - been wanting to go with fancy laminate anyways so Larry thank your for the note on fumes to aid in this decision. it's one room in my space that i cross thru quite often when I am in work modes so this should have been a no-brainer. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees... Appreciate all the input!