Discovery's Life series

rjames

This is one of my favorite things to watch on TV right now! Does anyone know what kind of equipment they use? I'm talking not only sound, but the camera as well. It looks and sounds amazing. I know this is a sound group, I'm just not a member of any camera forums. The best Google could give me is "state of the art high definition cameras." I'm also curious how the sounds are captured. Are they recorded sync with what the cameras are getting, or is someone going to the zoo with a recorder later? Any info, or just thoughts on the show, is much appreciated!

-Ryan

Ryan,

I too have been watching this series with great interest (along with HBO's "The Pacific"). http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/life/behind-the-scenes.html

This is a link to Discovery's behind the scenes.

It was shot on HD cameras, and a lot with super high speed. The PR says it was shot over 4 years and had over 70 cameramen world wide.

In watching it I believe that most of the sounds are added in post production -- as most nature series are. A lot of the moving footage is shot from Helicopters, airplanes, boats and vehicles. None of the promo footage showed a sound mixer, a boom microphone or even an on board microphone on the cameras.

Perhaps there will be an article on how they recorded and posted the series. But it is visually stunning.

RL