Transmitter-Recorder/2-Bands Receiver (Wisy or Deity?)

to6onfranco

Good day, folks. I'm Carlos, a Colombian scholar and filmmaker currently based in the US as a doctoral student. This is my first time posting, but I've been lurking in this forum for so long and have found invaluable advice. Thanks a lot for keeping the discussion up!

So, about me: I make documentary shorts, and I'm currently on the market for a transmitter/receiver system that allows me to upgrade my beloved Sennheiser G4 512. I primarily do interviews and group chats, so I use one lav (MKE2) and a boom mic (Sanken CS-M1) plugged straight into the camera. Most of the time, though, I benefit from the wireless transmitter/plug-on to place the mic/boom close to the talent while I'm in charge of the camera.

In any case, I'd benefit from having 1) 32-bit float recording and monitoring in the transmitters (because looking at levels while operating the camera is exhausting) and 2) a two-band receiver (for the lav and the boom or True Diversity when using only one of them). I've been eyeing the upcoming Deity system, although it doesn't have (yet) phantom power for the boom, so my first option is the Wisycom MPR52 receiver, paired with two MTP60s and the PHA60 attachment for the boom. From a technical point of view, my first question is how those two systems compare? Is the Wisycom worth the extra cost?

Secondly, I primarily work in Latin America. However, I currently live in the US, so I wonder if Wisycom's US-sold transmitters can use the recording/monitoring technology abroad. Or do I need to get them in Europe/Canada? If so, does anybody know where it's easier to get them? Those are sold out in most of the European retailers...

Finally, about frequencies. Which version of the receiver do you think would be the most appropriate for Latin America? I've been using the 470-558Mhz band with the Sennheiser without any problems, but I mostly work in remote places, and I'm moving in the upcoming years to different parts of the region. Any hints on how to check the regulations/available blocks in South and Central America?

Thanks!

In terms of which brand to get, well the saying goes: you get what you pay for. I don’t think Diety would be much of an improvement from what you already have. 

if you have been reading this forum you’d know that transmitters that record simultaneously are illegal in the US because Zaxcom holds the patent, so only they can do both in the US. If you want to get around those restrictions you’ll have to purchase outside this country. 

Most retailers are sold out of Wisycom because of the high demand and difficulty in sourcing components, as mentioned often on this forum. 

Regarding frequencies, a quick google search found this document: https://www.apwpt.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/handoutfrequencies2020.pdf

It does not list every country in the world, but it may or may not be a list of all those with restrictions. I’m sure it would be a simple matter to research an individual country if you need to be sure. 

5 hours ago, JonG said:

if you have been reading this forum you’d know that transmitters that record simultaneously are illegal in the US because Zaxcom holds the patent, so only they can do both in the US. If you want to get around those restrictions you’ll have to purchase outside this country. 

Actually Deity licensed several patents from Zaxcom, so they can record and transmit without legal trouble.

5 hours ago, borjam said:

Actually Deity licensed several patents from Zaxcom, so they can record and transmit without legal trouble.

This is regarding the legacy BP-TRX units. The Theos system is not falling under this agreement. 

11 hours ago, to6onfranco said:

Deity system, although it doesn't have (yet) phantom power for the boom,

Next week, we will show something at IBC Amsterdam...

8 hours ago, Vincent R. said:

This is regarding the legacy BP-TRX units. The Theos system is not falling under this agreement. 

Next week, we will show something at IBC Amsterdam...

This is exciting, Vincent. Thanks for the heads up!

19 hours ago, JonG said:

In terms of which brand to get, well the saying goes: you get what you pay for. I don’t think Diety would be much of an improvement from what you already have. 

Most retailers are sold out of Wisycom because of the high demand and difficulty in sourcing components, as mentioned often on this forum. 

Regarding frequencies, a quick google search found this document: https://www.apwpt.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/handoutfrequencies2020.pdf

It does not list every country in the world, but it may or may not be a list of all those with restrictions. I’m sure it would be a simple matter to research an individual country if you need to be sure. 

Evidently, none of the countries I work in are included in that document. Anyway, will thouroughly look for precise details, thanks Jon!

On 9/8/2023 at 12:01 PM, to6onfranco said:

I've been eyeing the upcoming Deity system, although it doesn't have (yet) phantom power for the boom

That has now been officially announced:

https://www.newsshooter.com/2023/09/16/deity-announced-the-dltx-3-pin-lemo-transmitter-butterfly-antenna-at-ibc-2023/

"The DLTX is primarily designed for microphones that require 48-volt phantom power through the 3-pin Lemo connector. This is great for attaching to a boom pole, as most shotgun microphones require phantom power. The DLTX 3 is fully compatible with the new THEOS wireless system."

On 9/17/2023 at 11:30 PM, IronFilm said:

That has now been officially announced:

https://www.newsshooter.com/2023/09/16/deity-announced-the-dltx-3-pin-lemo-transmitter-butterfly-antenna-at-ibc-2023/

"The DLTX is primarily designed for microphones that require 48-volt phantom power through the 3-pin Lemo connector. This is great for attaching to a boom pole, as most shotgun microphones require phantom power. The DLTX 3 is fully compatible with the new THEOS wireless system."

Thanks!

I did a quick 'n dirty walk test on the IBC show floor. Walking around Hall 8 (Audio hall) with the prototype DLTX (Lemo in, Phantom power out). S-Mic 2 on a pole about 30 cm/1 feet above the head. Hard- and firmware not finished, but it gives a good impression. Note; this is with the non diversity prototype D2RX (receiver).
(Vid details; Audio you hear is being transmitted back to the recorder, video is iPhone. audio and video synced in post. No other adjustments to the audio being made, straight recording from the D2RX out, into the Mixpre 10).

On 9/19/2023 at 1:53 PM, Vincent R. said:

I did a quick 'n dirty walk test on the IBC show floor. Walking around Hall 8 (Audio hall) with the prototype DLTX (Lemo in, Phantom power out). S-Mic 2 on a pole about 30 cm/1 feet above the head. Hard- and firmware not finished, but it gives a good impression. Note; this is with the non diversity prototype D2RX (receiver).
(Vid details; Audio you hear is being transmitted back to the recorder, video is iPhone. audio and video synced in post. No other adjustments to the audio being made, straight recording from the D2RX out, into the Mixpre 10).

Appreciate the details, Vincent! Looks impressive and I'm definitely looking forward to it!

• 3 weeks later...

In case anybody needs it for future reference, I found that the local regulations for Columbia and Mexico are 470-608 MHz with 100mW and 902-928 MHz with 1W, respectively. I'm a native Spanish speaker and have been dealing with government-enforced information for some years now, and it was really tricky locating this precise data. In case Deity folks want to use it, here it is!