Remote Audio HiQ battery failure

Phillip C Dent

Has anyone had any issues with their Remote Audio Hi-Q Meon batteries?  I have a 98wh, 14.4v that stopped working. The gage on the battery shows full.  My Audioroot esmart dual Charger shows the battery at 96%, but 0.0 amps.

I contacted Remote Audio, but they said to contact inspired energy. I contacted Inspired Energy and they said to contact Remote Audio. Now remote Audio is telling me to contact Audioroot because it’s most likely a charger problem.

thoughts?

I do not have remote Audio Batteries but sometimes wonder if I should make the switch to a Smart Battery system.

I do use the IDX 96Wh batteries and twice, one has died. I contacted IDX for repair, sent them in under warranty, and received a new replacement within a week. It cost one way shipping each time. It was suggested the batteries had discharged too far. I received equally good service turnaround on a battery charger repair after I dropped it late one evening.

Perhaps I will keep what I have...

Cheers,

Tim

5 minutes ago, Tim Norris said:

I do not have remote Audio Batteries but sometimes wonder if I should make the switch to a Smart Battery system.

If you do have a supported recorder/mixer or BDS, it is nice to have the extra metering info about the battery itself including how much runtime left.  I feel they now are on par price wise with the NP style batteries too.

7 hours ago, codyman said:

If you do have a supported recorder/mixer or BDS, it is nice to have the extra metering info about the battery itself including how much runtime left.  I feel they now are on par price wise with the NP style batteries too.

Yep, that's why I keep thinking about it.

I'm running a Scorpio/SL2 with one of those French BDS things because the SL2 doesn't have the power out capabilities of the SL6. I feel SD went backwards a step with the SL2 power outs, as much as I otherwise like the Scorpio/SL2 combo.

I would need 10 batteries and a number of chargers... I don't think the extra metering is worth the cost!

Cheers,

Tim

22 hours ago, Tim Norris said:

Yep, that's why I keep thinking about it.

I'm running a Scorpio/SL2 with one of those French BDS things because the SL2 doesn't have the power out capabilities of the SL6. I feel SD went backwards a step with the SL2 power outs, as much as I otherwise like the Scorpio/SL2 combo.

I would need 10 batteries and a number of chargers... I don't think the extra metering is worth the cost!

Cheers,

Tim

I've got this battery cup.  One TA4 has "data" to go into an 8 series and would have all the telemetry built in to the 8 series itself and then you also have a "dumb" TA4 that could go to a simple BDS or splitter for extra power connectors.

image.png

On 9/30/2023 at 7:40 PM, codyman said:

I've got this battery cup.  One TA4 has "data" to go into an 8 series and would have all the telemetry built in to the 8 series itself and then you also have a "dumb" TA4 that could go to a simple BDS or splitter for extra power connectors.

Yep.

I have been running dual NP-1 cups for years, decades perhaps. It gives me double the run time, and with the SL6 and its on-board NP-1, triple the run time. The SL6 allowed me to eliminate a BDS box because it had four power outs that were easily turned on or off through the POWER menu at the top of the menu system.

With the SL2, and the poorly (IMO) chosen Sony on-board batteries, I use one of the (only) two POWER OUTS to power up my DCHT and the other for an Audioroot eSMART BG-DU which provides switched output for three other devices I use infrequently. Each of these four accessory devices now feature an easy to access power switch, thanks to the three switches on the Audioroot BDS. If someone made a 3-4 switch dumb BDS, I would use that.

I find I do not actually require the additional information supplied by a Smart Battery system, but I dream about it sometimes! If Sound Devices had integrated a Smart Battery System into the SL2, with a couple extra POWER OUTS, and the ability to switch these POWER OUTS on and off IN THE TOP POWER MENU rather than buried near the bottom in the SL2/System menu,  I would have migrated to a dual Smart Battery configuration...

It is for these reasons (and a couple others) I feel Sound Devices has taken a step or two backwards with the design of the Scorpio/SL2. Other than that... it's a great package and I'm not gonna revert to the SL6.

Cheers,

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Update on HiQ battery failure:  As suggested by RemoteAudio I took the battery to Trew Audio in LA where they put it on their Remote Audio 2 bank charger that has a recalibrate function. After multiple attempts still no joy.  I am told that it will power up for about a minute and then die. 

RemoteAudio is again telling me to deal with Inspired Energy since they have no way to repair their batteries.

I’m frustrated that the battery lasted less than 40 cycles and RemoteAudio doesn’t seem concerned that their battery failed with so few cycles.

Am I wrong to expect better performance from their batteries and better customer support?

• 1 month later...