Schoeps CMC 1 SO

Ian Lee

Hello Guys.

I often use Dpa4097 or Sanken's cub mic when setting up the mic on a table or specific area in the field. Of course, I also use the mic mounted on the Ninja Clamp.

What I'm curious about is that Schoeps also has a product called CMC 1 SO, but there is no demo for the product from the Schoeps importer in Korea, so it is difficult to directly check the experience of use, and there are no people active in Korea who use or have used the product. There was no place to ask.

I'm really curious so I'm asking a question here. If there is anyone who has used or is using Schoeps' CMC 1 SO, could you share with me how the product compares to products from other brands? 

It will sound like any other Schoeps.  Excellent and expensive.  Also, it's a full size "pencil condensor" diaphragm, so it's nowhere near as easy to hide as a DPA4097 or CUB.  If you don't already own Schoeps capsules, you will need to buy one in addition to the CMC1SO, since the CMC1SO is just the power supply.

All in all, I would say don't bother if you don't already own Schoeps capsules.  They sound great, but they aren't really a replacement for the plant mics you are already using.

1 hour ago, The Documentary Sound Guy said:

It will sound like any other Schoeps.  Excellent and expensive.  Also, it's a full size "pencil condensor" diaphragm, so it's nowhere near as easy to hide as a DPA4097 or CUB.  If you don't already own Schoeps capsules, you will need to buy one in addition to the CMC1SO, since the CMC1SO is just the power supply.

All in all, I would say don't bother if you don't already own Schoeps capsules.  They sound great, but they aren't really a replacement for the plant mics you are already using.

Thank you for the great answer.
If I were to use Schoeps' supercmit and cmit in my next project, would the cmc1 so have a greater advantage than the gooseneck or setup microphones I have?

Of course, for quality, I would buy capsules.

I have the SO and the KV version. For hiding as a plant the KV is brilliant! Very small and with a flat back which will snap onto a magnet. 
The SO is very handy if you don’t have much time and need a fast method to deploy a mic. 
I just did a mod to a table stand which makes for a very nice table mic.

IMG_0312.jpeg

IMG_0313.jpeg

IMG_9220.jpeg

On 1/27/2024 at 12:08 AM, VASI said:

I hope other mic brands will follow!

There's a smiliar solution by DPA for their modular capsule system (like the 4018), the MMP-G preamp. Pretty small and and easy to place with DPA accessories (like a gooseneck) or even a small piece of sticky stuff and a cigarette (wasn't really used that way but would've worked...). Since it operates on 5V you can basically use it with every transmitter you're using your lavs with. It sounds way better compared to a 4097 (my opinion) but the preamp is a little more noisy than the 48V ones. But I was quite happy using it in the last production and used it a lot.

signal-2024-01-29-165405_002.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Matthias Richter said:

Schoeps lovers urged a lot to have something comparable and not to buy into another brand 😉

Not gonna argue with that. I‘m using the MK41 as my go-to hypercardiod as well. But since the question of other mic brands came up :)

I`ve been working a lot with the CMC 1 SO/MK41 in conjunction with a ZMT4 Tx. VERY small & quickly deployable System. Great Sound. It is lacking a suspension of course, so often I place the Tx inside a mini fur (for small ENG like shotgun baskets) and let just the MK41 poke out. Transmitter and gooseneck stay inside the fur to take up less induced rumble. Can hide behind a desk acsessory very easily or poke out of a visor inside a car. Can be put in front of a laptop screen, but typing while speaking would be a no-go and a rotating HDD inside the laptop would sound like a massive engine. If the capsule results a little top-heavy with the very lightwight ZMT4, I support it with an Ursa wire rig.

Be aware there is two CMC1-SO versions for Zaxcom and Sound Devices/Audio Ltd Tx. Not compatible with each other.

IMG_9454.jpg

IMG_9455.jpg

IMG_9461.jpg

• 2 weeks later...