Sonosax Sx-S maintenance

Chris Collins

Hi guys, I've been offered to buy a Sonosax Sx-S 8 from the 90s and it looks super clean. I'm curious what kind of maintenance or overhauls these particular mixers might need? I know perfectly well about Sonosax's great reputation, but since this mixer isn't offered cheap (almost 4000 usd) I want to know what I might be getting into. If you guys have any advice as to what I should check or look out for when I go see it, that would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, Chris 

B-but there's one being sold with 2x Wisycom receivers by Prosound (Europe) right now for US $2250.22 (£1,987.00)

"Sonosax SX-RX8+ Dual Superslot Wireless Module"

SONOSAXSKU: SX-RX8P-42-42

(And the postage to U$ can't possibly be $1750! ..Maybe check other prices elsewhere?)

I'd get a quote from Sonosax directly on what a look over / refresh would go for and then negotiate the sale of the unit accordingly knowing what it would take to get it up to par.  Sonosax analog boards are like the Bugatti of the sound world.  You wouldn't just take it down to Crazy Eddy's Car Repair for repair or a look over as they are truly something special.

Thanks Codyman, I actually did exactly that, however I have not had any response (been over 2 days). I have read up on these mixers about as much as one person can on the web. I have heard many people said that they have had theirs serviced over the years, but not sure what exactly. 

The seller claims that because it is super clean (almost new looking), that these mixers don't need much of any maintenance. Am I wrong making the assumption that all electronics that are over 30 years old probably need there caps replaced and some kind of work done? 

Agree that if you go this way you should factor in the expense and time of sending it to Sax in Switzerland for a checkup.  Sax gear is really tightly packed inside, unless you are a pro-level tech with the right tools I would not attempt fixing it in any way.  The work won't be cheap but I'd bet on you getting back a mixer that functions like it did when it was new (which was pretty great).

I'd sweep through each gain pot with a dynamic mic, and if you have a bantam tt->XLR cable, check each channel's direct output on the back (direct outputs are unbalanced so you won't get +4db line level out of them like you do on the main outputs but they are very clean and super useful)..  and just go through each channel strip like you would any mixer.  

As for service, I had a SX-S8 serviced by Glen Trew in Nashville in 2021 I think.  I had heard he was servicing Nagra tape machines at the time, during covid, and I knew he was a Sonosax dealer so I gave him a call.  He was able to source and replace a bad gain pot on my SX-S, however I think these days it may be more difficult to source parts.  I recall not long after mine was serviced in Nashville, Sonosax announced they were/are ending official support for the SX-S series (not to be confused with SX-ST series which is still in production).  This was a year or two ago if I recall.   Either way, I have two SX-S mixers that I hang onto and I'm very happy with.  I love using the channels for location music multi track recording and also daisy chaining them for mixing stems out of pro tools.  Simple and practical along with excellent sound qualities.  

Thank you very much pscottm. I will just take my time and check each channel. Don't think I will be able to know if some stuff like the limiters function correctly, but if anything falters then comes the negotiations. Sounds to me like the gain nobs and faders are the most likely to go bad? 

I am buying the mixer to be used strictly as a mini music recording console. Basically instead of buying an SSL Big 6, or API the box 2.