Comtek M72 question

leeascher

I bought several of the 72 receivers, did a bit of work on 'em to standardize the headphone jacks and levels, then found a supply of used crystals at a fair price -- all in all, an embarrassment of Comtek riches.

If someone shows up at the cart complaining that their Comtek's not working, I'd rather be able to just swap it for another one as opposed to trouble shooting on the spot.  It's probably a battery or operator error but, in either case, just handing them another is the best way to deal with it.  Having plenty of extras eases my mind.

My max in the past was about sixteen, but now I have lots of spares and can also keep some crystaled with alternate frequencies for ear prompters or for sending time code.

John B.

Just scored a good price on another transmitter with 3 receivers today!  I got a hold of Comtek today and asked them about the set I recently received (one in the picture earlier).  They said I got a really early serial for a rare set with a freq of 72.025 Mhz, NB(narrow band).  These receivers can use the letter crystals as well he said, so I'm happy that I have more options now. 

• 1 year later...

John paul, I assume you mean it's a pain in the bag (ha) because of the length of the antenna.  When you look at the meters you have to watch your eyes!

I use a 90 degree bnc elbow to get the antenna out of my face.  Range doesn't seem too adversely effected..  I used to run it on the end of a short bnc jumper cable to hide it in the bottom of the bag until the tech at Comtek informed me that this was a no-no, impedance issues...  The elbow seems ok though. 

Anyone know of a good alternative to the stock M72 antenna? Using it for bag work is kind of a pain. Anyone try just making their own whip on a BNC connection?

Yes, use a "floppy" antenna -- length about 15" -- and just let it dangle out the side of the bag.  You can position it totally out of the way.  I use them on several Comteks, both 72s and 216s -- even on the cart -- much less hassle.  The range is good for most situations.  I also have solid vertical ones for when I need a bit more range.

• 2 years later...