high track count projects

larry long

I currently use the Deva 4 as my recorder and I see it coming that I'll need more tracks at some time.

I could buy a Deva 16 and have my older Deva as a back up I know.

Has anyone just tc linked 2 Devas for this purpose? It seems that with proper organization this would be a more versatile setup.

thoughts?

thanks,

LL

If it was a very high track count, I think Metacorder (or possible Boom Recorder) might be a better idea, since all those tracks will absolutely be in sync, assuming external word clock and timecode. I know of some big reality projects that use this kind of set up, at least when the sound department is not on the move.

If it's a big music concert or something like that, Pro Tools is pretty standard for this kind of thing. We used both for Shine a Light, and everything came together fairly well.

I have a deva 5 and a deva 5.8. I use a 744t as a TC master as well as an a to d out of my cooper 208, no digital outputs sadly. To use the 10 tracks of each deva I am inputting 2 analog mix tracks from the cooper to the 5.8 and 2 digital from the 744 to the 5. I generally only need one mix track but if needed the other is there waiting. I am using the deva 5 as a backup recorder only and have not needed more than my 10 tracks. But I have needed all 10 on several occasions. A little convoluted maybe but I had all the parts and it has been working very well for me.