SD722 with NTG3 - important treble on "-sss"

krick75

Hi There,

alright, I am going to try my best to explain this, as english is not my primary language...

My SD722 coupled with a Rode NTG 3 gives me too much treble on words with "-sss". It is not a very pleasant sound.

Is there a setting i should adjust on the SD722? Maybe my mic position needs to be changes (45 degree directed down to the mouth)?

Any idea?

Thank you

Ced

I'm thinking of another recent thread, here on jwsoundgroup.net, about an alleged malfunctioning (dead) piece of equipment 8) but:

how does this mic sound plugged into another piece of equipment?? how does another mic plugged into the recorder sound ??

different headphones (or speaker set up) ?? different mic cord ??

this is basic troubleshooting 101, substitution to find the problem.

Randy Hall can guide you through this... ::)

Edited by studiomprd

Well there is nothing you can do about it in the 722 as it has no EQ, only a high-pass filter.

The NT-G3 has a high boost, around where the "sss" is.

I would suggest listening to other recordings of the NTG-3 and see if the sound is somewhat identical to yours or not. If not, there is a technical problem. Also try with your own voice, maybe the talent you are recording has a very harsh "S" from nature.

Could also be a headphone perception issue. For example, I use a 552, MKH-416 and Sony 7506 setup, and the Sonys sound very harsh to me in the sibilance range, which is what you're describing. I often think, "This mic is way too harsh," but then on playback the 416 translates nicely, and the sibilance is very useful for 'cutting' through background noise.

Try listening to it on different headphones, in post, or as a last result send it to the manufacturer or take it to your local pro-shop and have them test it.

JD above may be on the right track. Certain types of voices seem to bring out the worst in some microphones (and vice versa). A good re-recording engineer will know when to de-ess the final track -- assuming this project will be mixed prior to release.

My general inclination is not to point the boom directly at the actor's mouths, but instead go more towards the sternum (depending on distance), just to ward off momentary directional issues when they move unexpectedly. But I concede it's a subjective area, and different boom ops have different tricks and techniques. (And I'm a terrible boom op, being a short guy with rotator cuff injuries.)

A more costly microphone will probably give you more options for a presence boost (or cut), which might help the situation.