Fake 1970s Disco Video

Marc Wielage

I thought this was absolutely hilarious: a recent Bruno Mars song called "Treasure" which sounds exactly like a mid-1970s disco hit. And they went all the way... they even shot a music video that looks like it was shot in 1975!

The style of shooting, the lighting, everything just wreaks of the 1970s... even up to the fake video head-switching at the very bottom of the picture (which hasn't been seen since everything went digital about 20 years ago). About the only thing they forgot is that pictures from this era had a lot of "lag" in the video, due to the imaging tubes used in the vintage cameras. It's like you're watching Earth, Wind & Fire on Soul Train or something.

I also think the editing is a liiiiiitle bit too slick and modern compared to what was done back then, but it's a fun, entertaining song -- provided you like that whole mindless 1970s disco thing. I'm one of those guys who generally detested disco in the 1970s because it pushed a lot of rock artists off the charts, but from the distance of time, I've had to admit in recent years that there were some disco songs that were actually OK, even some I grudgingly like. And this one easily could've been a hit 35 years ago.

Watch out for the opening announcement, which is NSFW.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm one of those guys who generally detested disco in the 1970s because it pushed a lot of rock artists off the charts, but from the distance of time, I've had to admit in recent years that there were some disco songs that were actually OK, even some I grudgingly like.

Same here Eric.

The audio mix is certainly not '70s though.

Yeah, a 57. Only a prop mic.. however some actually do prefer it over the 58 for vocals. Tom Petty, Paul Simon for instance. Paul even used a 57 as a studio vocal mic occasionally if the song merited it. Don't know about Petty's studio preferences. Never worked with him. (unfortunately).