RED, It's the Best camera!

Richard Ragon

Not surprising, IMO. In most situations I still prefer the look of film -- but the gap is narrowing.

Last year, between Best Picture & Best Cinematography nominations, 2/3 were shot on film and 1/3 were shot on Alexa. This year it's about 50/50 film & Alexa.

Poor Red users, they invest so much ego into believing their camera's the best.

I don't think it's too terribly surprising and RED owners have nothing to be ashamed of.  It is a much cheaper camera and makes sense for the owner operator.  It also tends to be used on lower budget shoots.  Owner operator / lower budget tends not to be the domain of big budget features - so go figure, the results are a little surprising in that not even a single RED made the list, as there are some big names who use them / swear by them and did well in the box office on some films, but the trend in Arri's favor makes perfect sense.  In this particular case, Arri got handed a blackjack hand.

Like so many other cameras available these days, the Red can capture some stunning images. My comment above was not aimed so much at the camera as it was at Red users who insist their camera is superior because of higher resolution numbers. There are so many other factors at play. ...and artistry comes from the artist.

I still see lotsa Epics on shoots making nice pix, needing many accessories (incl Lockits), requiring double system sound (what's not to like about that?) and supplying a permanent air of mystery about how and why it will work today. Multiple cam RED shoots multiply your fun!  Meanwhile--the Epic is a little long in the tooth, and BM has sold a lot of 4K BM Cine cams in the owner/op market....so what's next?

philp

Often, on set, the camera conversation comes up.. I always tell everyone, 'you have got to be crazy to buy a camera'.. this of course is met with a lot of troubled looks.. but when I explain that each year that I've been in business, I've seen camera crazy, after camera craze.. When I started it was mostly film.. but the first crazy in DV was the Panasonic dvx100b, followed by hvx200, then came the DSLR craze, RED, phatom, and arri.. now it's the blackmagic, gopro, and beyond.. it seams like these cameras come in, last about a year and fade into obscurity..  Why on earth, would you buy ANY camera for filming for 2 weeks, and a literal shelf life of 12 months?

Thank god sound equipment last a lot longer!

-Richard

Why on earth, would you buy ANY camera for filming for 2 weeks, and a literal shelf life of 12 months?

Well if a d.o.p. knows he s getting 40ish days booked he s likely to pay off his camera (that he can resell or make profit in future rentals). That can be a great investment for sure.

Typically camera rental takes much less days to be paid off than sound equipment but is a way riskier bet.

Why on earth, would you buy ANY camera for filming for 2 weeks, and a literal shelf life of 12 months?

You could use it for 12 months and then sell it. There are small, local TV stations and film students that could still make use of an HVX200 if you'd sell it for 1/3rd the original price. That plus the rental income would make you a decent profit.

Cameras have kind of turned into computers in that they get obsolete within about 3-4 years, the new version comes out at a fraction of the original price, and has twice as many features (or double the power and/or resolution). The three things that don't get old are 1) lenses, 2) camera mounts, and 3) lighting gear. No matter what camera you have, you still need great lenses and a grip truck to get the most out of it.

The Red people go nuts about how their camera is $40,000 and the Alexa is over $60,000, but they kind of forget that you still need a $100,000 grip truck and a $100,000 box of lenses for either camera. In the big picture, the camera might be the smallest expense you have. I agree with Richard that it really makes more sense to just rent a camera, unless you have a long-term project (like a series or a couple of back-to-back features) where the camera will be paid off in 8 or 9 months.

I also see that Red is getting nibbled at the high end by Sony (F55) and Alexa, at the middle by Canon (C500), and at the low end by JVC and Blackmagic. The 4K market is very difficult these days, and more and more people have realized that the "K" might be the least important factor in terms of picture quality. 

I honestly believe the reason why Alexa took off so quickly for American television production is because they paid very close attention to the needs of the post-production people and the producers, and it's managed to have an iron grip on production here and in the U.K.  I think the Red Epic (particularly the Dragon) is an excellent camera that can make great pictures, but I also think the Alexa is faster and easier to deal with in post, particularly for those shooting in ProRes 444. And we already know the Alexa is a lot easier to deal with in terms of timecode and audio.  

Humm.. You might be removing that #3 off your list there Senator..  LED lighting has taken a hold in the biz, and lighting is getting more and more computerized.  Not to mention that newer cameras need less lights these days..  I'm not saying that a HMI is going away.. but I'm definitely seeing changes in the lighting areas now.

People have been trying to use less light since the first photo. What I like about lighting is how real lighting by a great gaffer can make a picture pop and that doesn't happen by throwing up a light just to make the room brighter. You still need to shape the light. Just like you can't just hang a mic in the room an expect great audio.

Scott.

Marc: " things that don't get old are 1) lenses, 2) camera mounts, and 3) lighting gear. "

and quality microphones.

Eh... this is stuff for the DP. Sound is not a consideration for the camera department (assuming a "real" project). I do agree that of all the equipment we buy, I think condenser microphones seem to retain their value the longest. God knows, it's no longer mixers and recorders.