connector for MKH816P48

Sound Man

I was looking at a used MKH816P48 Mic and was bit skeptical about the different type of connector used with it. Is the Mic using this type of connector : http://www.amphenol.info/steckverbinder/T-3261-001/356.html

In case one needs to change the connector can the above be used as replacement. The Mic is in good working condition just wondering if should get few of such connector in stock ? In case this is not the one may I know where to get Tuchel connector...

I think that your question has already been answered by others but, perhaps not fully explained.

When Sennheiser first marketed the MKH series microphones, they were fitted with a 3-pin female connector. The pins were arranged in the pattern of a DIN connector but with a threaded sleeve. The male connector that would mate to it would be fitted with a threaded collar that would lock the two elements together. This kind of locking DIN connector is called a Tuchel connector.

Tuchel connectors were used extensively on Arriflex and Eclair cameras and on classic Nagra recorders. I don't know of any gear that still uses the Tuchel but the components are still available. They are made by Amphenol and may be purchased from Mouser. The Mouser site is not conducive to grabbing a particular catalog page URL but you can access Mouser at mouser.com. Then search the site for Tuchel connectors. They are available in a variety of pin configurations so you'll need to specify.

You should be able to find other suppliers if Mouser isn't convenient.

Hope that helps.

David