Izen Ears

Surf music anyone?

On 11/11/2019 at 8:02 AM, hobbiesodd said:

For a raucous and raunchy surf/garage/punk/rockabilly hybrid, I adore the sound of Poison Ivy and her 1958 Gretsch (6120?) weighed down with heavy strings. When I saw them live she had blackface amps on stage but I remember her saying somewhere that she uses smaller rigs for recording sessions.

Anyways here’s some of that original Psychobilly sound:

Cheers,

Evan

While I absolutely love that band, and that TONE rules, but the drummer reversed the beat and I cannot handle it haha!  Very much not a jag / JM tone there, but that Gretsch sounds incredible!  It’s all midrange...  And to my ears that’s a super brownface-ey tone.

On 12/2/2019 at 3:04 PM, Sam Mikelic said:

This is one of the most unexpected and best threads I have ever read! haha!  Living in Huntington Beach today, it's truly great to hear some of the history of the era as it pertains to that genre of music. Very cool, thank you all for sharing your stories!  The topic of "sound" certainly goes far far beyond the more boring conversations of freq scanning and which are the best lav expendables, right?

Sam M.

Orange County, CA

AAAAAHHH  I want to live in California!  You are sooooo lucky, if you like surf.  Hopefully you went to SG101 and signed up?  Every year the site dude accepts user submissions and puts out a comp.  Mostly home recordings and Garage Band-type but also a few bands.  Blood Reef got #9 this year.  (You can’t access the comps until you register!)

Dude, you could go to the annual SG101 convention in August!!!!  I may go next year.  I wanna meet some of the surf forumites.  I don’t know if I can take more than one hour of live surf music though.  It’s three days long.

Truth is - I don’t like much surf!  Most of it is played out blues or jazz formulas without the pounding rhythm I crave.  I’ve decided that Blood Reef is a “Horror Punk Surf” band, not even close to a traditional surf band.

Hey you know what?  I believe surf is a style and NOT a genre.  In the 60s it was pop music, now it’s either traditional or non-traditional.  We’re waiting on my guitar skills to catch up and then we’ll record.  In the meantime, go join SG101 and DL the comps!

Also - I really want two brownface Vibrasonics now, just in case we have to travel.  (Or of course, we play a bigger venue with good sound reinforcement, but that will probably never happen!)  The 6G13 circuit, a 50 watt version of the holy 6G14 circuit.  I need two a) for backup, but primarily b) to bi-amp.

Anyhow - yes all my favorite threads here have been about weird sound stuff!  And horror stories, I love those.  Sadly, I don’t really have any.  Yeah a couple of gear failures and some public embarrassment but nothing close to a real horror show job...  One time I almost fought a DP but he wised up and started respecting us haha!

Dan Izen