Small Solid State Recorders

bperlman

Which one, which one? I'm looking to add a small recorder to my kit for the odd SFX, wild line, VO, etc. There are a number of choices and I am curious what others are using. I think I lean towards one with XLRs. Also, the Marantz PMD660 uses CF cards which would make direct import into my 788T easier. Any thoughts?

Bruce

Fostex Fr2Le great little recorder I always keep in my truck. Runs for about 5 hours on (4) AA batteries I use Rechargeable. I use it for a back up to my 744T when requested by clients on cart based jobs and to record V.O. I got mine for $500.00 on ebay with a carrying case

I like my Marantz PMD 661.  Small, full size XLR inputs, good sound, easy on batteries.  Have used it many times for VO and SFX!  Albeit thru a mixer.  Haven't used the mic pres to know how they sound stand alone. 

I have the 661 as well.  Mine has the Oade super mod.  Very intuitive menus and operation.  Headphone amp is a little weak, and the input level controls need to be protected from bumping.  I've used it line in from a mixer (SD 302) for vo and sfx. With my Schoeps CMIT5U into one channel for sfx with the phantom power and the sound was good.  I've also used the internal mics to record orchestra and sfx and they're not bad at all.

Bernie

I had a chance to use the Marantz 661 last year.  I own a Microtrack II and have used the different Zoom models, but I really like the 661 the best.  To me it was as close to idiot proof as you can get.  Easy to tell when your recording and when your not (not so easy on a lot of other models) and has a large easy to read display.  My only complaints are that it's a little large for "bag" use and I wish it had a limiter.

Tom

I have the 661 as well.  Mine has the Oade super mod.  Very intuitive menus and operation.  Headphone amp is a little weak, and the input level controls need to be protected from bumping.  I've used it line in from a mixer (SD 302) for vo and sfx. With my Schoeps CMIT5U into one channel for sfx with the phantom power and the sound was good.  I've also used the internal mics to record orchestra and sfx and they're not bad at all.

Bernie

Bernie,

What is the "Oade super mod"?

Tom

Doug Oade (Oade Bros. Audio) rebuilds part of the preamps in the Marantz, Fostex, and Edirol recorders to improve noise, gain, clarity, etc.

I have one of his upgraded recorders -- and it's very impressive for the price -- but there's only so much that can be done to these little machines.

-- Eric

Doug Oade (Oade Bros. Audio) rebuilds part of the preamps in the Marantz, Fostex, and Edirol recorders to improve noise, gain, clarity, etc.

I have one of his upgraded recorders -- and it's very impressive for the price -- but there's only so much that can be done to these little machines.

-- Eric

.....the other issue is that they will provide no specs and no info on what they do, AND they will only mod new machines you buy from them.  So any comparison you do on your own requires that you get an unmodded machine and one of theirs yourself.  Also their mods void the warranty of the machines, I believe.

Philip Perkins

I have a marantz pmd620 with the oade "super mod" and am very happy with it. Checked out a standard pmd620 for a few days and liked it then came across the oade mod so went for the upgrade.

Couldn't be happier! Clearer, more depth to the recording and a wider soundstage then the standard model. Also I found Doug to be helpfull in answering any questions...

Here's what he says about the upgrade on his website: (obviously, don't expect to get his secret herbs and spices list...)

"The PMD 620 Super rebuilds the PMD 620 mic preamp with a very low noise, low distortion and high slew rate op amp that dramatically enhances detail and clarity while lowering noise and audible distortions. This upgrade also improves the line input circuit and increases the mic input gain by 6dB in order to record lower signal levels without using the ALC circuit. The built in mics and plug n power are removed to maximize microphone input quality, all other features remain intact. Super MOD parts are selected by ear to optimize low level detail."

disclaimer:

I'm based in New Zealand and it was cheaper to get a pmd620 modded and import it then to buy standard off the shelf here. Still saved myself nz$150. I'm happy, just wish I could find the comparison files I recorded...

Regards,

Grant.

http://grantfinlay.com

http://naturesounds.co.nz

Bernie,

What is the "Oade super mod"?

Tom

Hi Tom,

Pasted from the Oade website:http://www.oade.com

The Marantz PMD 661 Super MOD upgrade rebuilds the XLR inputs using very high speed, very low noise and super low distortion op amps that dramatically improve low level detail and clarity. Input PCB capacitors are also upgraded. Super low THD+N op amps allow for a very wide SFDR even with signal levels down 50dB. This preserves the signal quality of the highest grade microphones when recording soft signals, like voice, un amplified music, nature sounds and FX.

The preamp chips used for the Super MOD have lower THD than the stock ones (about 30db less). The Super MOD chips do a bit less hiss than the ones for the Concert and Warm MOD chips. This is preferred for very soft signals as there is less signal to mask the noise. The Concert and Warm MODs also use chips with much lower THD than the stock chips but the gain structure altered to accommodate the much higher signal levels found in a Concert setting. When high output mics are used in a high SPL concert both the stock and Super MOD machines can overload. All upgrades dramatically enhance clarity and low level detail in recorded signals by significantly lowering the distortion in the preamp. To sum up, the Concert and Warm MODs optimize the preamp circuit for clarity and detail in higher SPL settings while the Super MOD optimizes it for more common signal levels like nature sounds, voice and Acoustic music. Also, the Warm MODs preamp chips use FETs so they sound very much like a tube preamp with the warm sound that offers a fat rounded bass tone, a sweet silky high end and the expansive soundstage found in high end tube circuits. Unlike the Concert MOD which is transparent or uncolored, the Warm MOD does add euphonic coloration to the recorded signal.

Here's another paste regarding upgrading machines not sold by Oade:

Oade Brothers Audio now offering upgrades for your digital recorder.

Please e-mail Doug Oade to obtain an RMA number. Turn around time is approximately 10 to 12 business days plus shipping time.

We do NOT service decks that were not sold by Oade Brothers Audio, any deck sent in for an upgrade MUST be in good working order or it is not eligible for the upgrade.

All PMD 620 are available only on machines we sell, sorry but no exceptions

The OEM warranty is voided by the mod but Oade warranties the units sold and modded by him.  Probably quicker and easier to get service from him than the manufacturer.

Bernie

"Marantz PMD660 uses CF cards which would make direct import into my 788T easier."

I have Marantz 660 and SD 552. The CF cards appear to format differently in each machine and don't play well together in my case.

Check the format compatibility before you commit if interaction is important.