Rode Blimp heavy?

MT Groove

...without Rycote, there would be no Rode blimp, and without people buying the current Rycotes, there will never been any more development

Without Sennhesier there would not be any Rycote. Sennheiser designed and produced the first zeppelin-style windscreen for the original 8-series shotgun microphones. Rycote, and others, copied the original Sennhesier design and then went on to refine the design based on their own company's engineers (or marketing staff). When the Rycote windscreens first came out they were the only viable alternative to the then much more expensive windscreen from Sennheiser.

Lightwave, then LTM, K-Tek and Rode all went on to produce shockmounts and windscreens that either improved upon, or did not, the original zeppelin design, and pricing has been all over the place based on market factors, brand reputation and so forth.

I have a problem with ALL the zeppelin-style windscreens because I believe the original design concept was flawed. But hey, that's just me, golden ears (no longer given the opportunity to even experience these subtle frequency response, polar pattern issues).

Without Sennhesier there would not be any Rycote. Sennheiser designed and produced the first zeppelin-style windscreen for the original 8-series shotgun microphones. Rycote, and others, copied the original Sennhesier design and then went on to refine the design based on their own company's engineers (or marketing staff). When the Rycote windscreens first came out they were the only viable alternative to the then much more expensive windscreen from Sennheiser.

Lightwave, then LTM, K-Tek and Rode all went on to produce shockmounts and windscreens that either improved upon, or did not, the original zeppelin design, and pricing has been all over the place based on market factors, brand reputation and so forth.

I have a problem with ALL the zeppelin-style windscreens because I believe the original design concept was flawed. But hey, that's just me, golden ears (no longer given the opportunity to even experience these subtle frequency response, polar pattern issues).

You're right to put the original Sennheiser blimps ahead of Rycote Jeff, Rycote used a similar overall design, but developed their own products, but the current Rode blimps are a direct lift of the Rycotes, no thought or extra development, just copies. Rycote are currently at the forefront of windshield develpment, and are their own designs and concepts.

<I have a problem with ALL the zeppelin-style windscreens because I believe the original design concept was flawed.>>

Jeff, more on this? Would you consider the Zephyx a more sensible system?

-vin

Absolutely! The Zephyx windscreen is the first commercially produced windscreen that incorporates most all of the proper design elements, many of those elements totally absent from the basic zeppelin-style windscreen. Don Coufal has designed and built many windscreens over the years that have demonstrated the validity of this sort of design in terms of the balance between ultimate wind protection and neutral affect on the performance of the mic. The two most crucial factors, overlooked or violated in almost every other design, is air space around the microphone and the overall shape of the windscreen itself.

I'm delighted people are having good experiences with their rode blimps. I have just finished a job off the west coast of Ireland with GALE FORCE WINDS. The wind protection for the mic from the blimp is excellent, however, the basket and it's mechanisms make noise in windy conditions. I've taken it apart and tightened the Allen key nuts 3 times and it still makes noise. Also the front plastic lock fell off on the first day. I didn't get a good one. 

It would appear build consistency is not consistent!

I really like rode mics, I think for the money the nt3 is great and I've used an nt4 for years.

Pros: it's really cheap (mine was free!).

Cons: it makes noise.

I've made my decision, rycote please. I still use one from 8 years ago. I don't know if my rode blimp will still be motoring in 8 years. 

This is one of the windscreens that Don designed, we called it the butterfly and believe or not it was just 3/8" thick Acoustifoam and was very effective wind protection for a Schoeps in fairly strong wind. Next to the butterfly is also a unique windscreen made from a modified Electro-Voice "football" windscreen.

Although Don did not boom "The Natural" (this picture taken in Buffalo, NY), I had learned how to make this windscreen. It was very fragile so we used to just make up the windscreen on every movie and use it until it fell apart.

post-1-130815086148_thumb.jpg

If you are referring to the 'cam' lever that controls the tilt of the basket, mine is also metal.

See here. In particular the first photo without the basket on. The cam lever is metal.

During some downtime today I took apart the locking latch to find that the pin is actually metal and tightening screw has metal threads, which is great.  My silver colored lever however is definitely plastic.... maybe there was a change in their production line some time ago?

Used my Rode blimp for the first time yesterday.  It came free with my NTG-3, otherwise I would've bought the Rycote, which I am accustomed to using ordinarily.  I didn't have any problems with noise and it performed wonderfully in some rather tough wind here in NYC, including on the Staten Island Ferry (no not that ferry).  I do find that it's not as easy to make adjustments in the angle because of the way that it locks off the position and it is much bigger, heavier, and less solidly constructed than the Rycote.  If I were buying a new blimp, it would definitely be a Rycote, but the Rode performs well enough that I'll use it until it falls apart...and then buy a Rycote.

I've been using a Rode for 8-9 months and I think it's a killer product considering the price, which is usually less than the street price of $299 and even sometimes free.

I recently did a shoot with a helicopter landing and taking off on a landing pad 150 feet up in the air with Texas winds blowing and it did a great job.

In some ways I think it's better than the Rycote's I've used but then I've only used old, beat up ones held together with duct tape and chewing gum....

It is heavy and seems a bit larger for the size of mics it holds.  Friend mine has on and the screw in the middle with the large wheel attached that you use for balancing the rig snapped.  They had to tape the thing together as that is the only thing holding it to the handle.

I'll take my rycote any day.

J Hemmerlin

Most of the time it's all about the owner.  Can't tell you how many rycotes I've seen held together with gaffer tape.

I know what you mean.  Any product no matter how well made will suffer if not treated with care.  I used to be on staff at a PBS station and tried to keep all the blimps, mics, mixers, etc. maintained so when I needed to use something it was ready to go.  It was a frustrating exercise because no one else seemed to care about the gear and treated it accordingly.  Its gotten worse since I'm not there full time, and as a part timer I'm more inclined to use my own gear and avoid having to put together a package from the mess that is the gear room.

End of rant.  Take good care of your tools and they will take care of you.

Bernie