ISO or no ISO

larry long

I need to buy another recorder : (

Primarily as back up.

I wish I could afford another Deva but that is out of the question for now.

So I could get a SD 702t and then have it in my run bag all the time and there just in case as a back up.

But it wouldn't offer me any iso's with my 442. Would anyone feel comfortable these days just recording the mix tracks?

Like we used to do?

LL

Yeah it's unfortunate, I need a reliable back up as I start shooting on Oct 4th.

I'm sure I'll decide and then!!! Something amazing comes out.

/bitch session/

Unrelated... I finally broke down and re blocked out of 28. I had just finished 5 months of episodic and no job on the horizon, my girl got a gig (make up) so I thought I had plenty of time. Then I get a gig, my venues came back and my exchanged VRT's but Lectro still has my transmitters with no real expectation that they will arrive by the time my show starts, so I have to rent Transmitters. Then my Deva 2 (don't laugh) dies so another added purchase. Gonna spend all the rental on this new show on gear. Thanks FCC! for one!

/end/ bitch session/

LL

Larry,

You could probably find a 744T for close to the cost of a 702T.  It'll give you those tracks in the bag with your 442, if that's a concern, as well as offering the internal drive.  You can run it as a mono mix back-up on the cart, as I do, and you can hand over flash cards to the DIT for dailies and turn in your Deva DVD to editorial.

Robert

Anyone running a SD 702t as backup? Doing another Red show and I was thinking about running the Deva 4 out to a 702 and hand the media to the DIT to include with the footage and sending the DVD rams seperately.

Thoughts?

LL

I run a 702T as back up to my Deva 5 and also use the 702 in a bag for car low-loader work and to send USP away to do FX.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Funnily enough I fed my 702T by SPIDF from my HBB Portadrive last week for the first time,

Very big budget NYC commercial shot here

Simple gig though 1 radio mike and and a boom for the slate

Did it on a whim but meant I could dump files to editor and producer from CF very easily

Otherwise I have only once done ISO on a bizarre multi actor loose job with no script.

All my scripted drama I mix to two tracks as I still call myself a sound mixer not a track layer!

mike

www.mikewestgatesound.co.nz

I still run a Deva 2 as as backup but I know for sure it's only going to survive this season if I'm lucky. I rented a Deva 5.8 as a backup to my Deva 5 and that's the route I'm going once the Deva 2 shuffles off this mortal coil. Great machine and records to flash cards as well once I get into the digital video world, which I think is inevitable once CSI (shot on film) is over. I may go with a four or eight track SD solely because of the testimonials I've read here, but the Deva is hard to beat, pricey but seems to be the go to machine for a lot of mixers.

On another subject, anyone had any feedback from Presonus mixers? I hear good things but only from music guys, not audio for visual mixers.

Just a thought

MIck