FCC License

Jeff Wexler

In Washington, there is a sort of a war going on over the UHF spectrum, as UHF wavelengths are very good for both TV broacasts and mobile broadband. The broadcasters, represented by NAB and others, are afraid that the mobile broadband folks are deliberately trumping up a "spectrum crunch" for broadband use and are trying to acquire leases for as much of the spectrum as possible. Toward that end, as an example, ComCast "purchased" their own FCC Comissioner (Meredith Attwell Baker), who voted in favor of the takeover of NBC. So now the delivery agent owns the content provider. Now they feel she would be more useful as a lobbyist:

Regulator to Join Comcast After OK of NBC DealBy JOELLE TESSLER AP Technology Writer5/11/2011, 9:58 PM EDTFederal Communications Commission member to join Comcast after approval of NBC takeover deal

A top telecommunications regulator who voted to approve Comcast Corp.'s takeover of NBCUniversal in January is leaving to join the company as a lobbyist. Meredith Attwell Baker, one of two Republicans on the five-member Federal Communications Commission, will become senior vice president of government affairs for NBCUniversal. Comcast said it did not begin discussions with Baker about a possible job until after the transaction had closed. Baker will leave the FCC on June 3, less than a month before her term was set to expire. She joined the agency in July 2009.

And from markertek.com      Thursday, May 05, 2011

The National Association of Broadcasters has filed with the FCC a study by former FCC official Uzoma Onyeije questioning the existence of a spectrum crisis. The paper, entitled "Solving the Capacity Crunch: Options for Enhancing Data Capacity on Wireless Networks," suggests alternative solutions to auctioning broadcasting spectrum to help alleviate mobile broadband congestion. In the paper, Onyeije shows that insufficient analysis and reliance on faulty information in the formation of the FCC's National Broadband Plan has led to the overstated assumption of a nationwide spectrum "crisis." The paper cautions that using flawed data to address the capacity crunch affecting only a handful of cities will lead to inadequate solutions. Onyeije calls for a comprehensive and quantitative analysis of the issue that is not based on preconceived assumptions. "The factual basis for the 'spectrum crisis' claim is underwhelming," Onyeije wrote in the paper. "For example, the answer to the fundamental question of how much spectrum mobile carriers need remains uncertain. It appears that the notion of a need for large-scale spectrum reallocation to address a shortage of mobile spectrum is based on questionable assumptions designed to achieve a particular result." The National Broadband Plan's conclusion of a spectrum shortage is based on little more than a wish list by wireless carriers, says the paper. Onyeije cites contradictory statements by high-ranking corporate officials to show the Plan's calls for making 500 MHz of spectrum available for broadband in ten years is a gross overestimate of the actual need. "There is no denying that the corporate imperative of mobile wireless carriers is to obtain as much spectrum as they can," Onyeije wrote. "However, the fact that wireless carriers cannot find a unified voice on the amount and timing of their spectrum needs suggests that this advocacy is more strategic gamesmanship than factual reality." The paper was filed with the FCC in response to a request for comments on potential reallocation of broadcast spectrum. Onyeije will appear on a panel entitled "Bridging the Digital Divide: Spectrum Policy, Program Diversity and Consumer Rights" at the Brookings Institution on May 5 at 10 a.m.

• 3 weeks later...

Could someone clarify something for me? 

Is this license the same one that is required to purchase/operate Lectrosonics block 944 gear?  I like the idea of having wireless in a block that is:

1) Specifically reserved by the FCC (about as much future-proofing as I could imagine)

2) Clear of competition from other signals nationwide (???)

3) Has teeny tiny 1/4 wave whip antennas

If this license wouldn't cover usage on Block 944, could someone point me toward where I could find out about such a license?  Also, does anyone here have any experience working in those frequencies?

Licenses to use wireless mics in the 944-952 MHz range (also known as the "STL Band") are only available to licensed radio and TV stations.  "Motion picture production companies" are not eligible.

As far as "specifically reserved" goes, the TV channels in each market that have no TV stations and no TV Band Devices will be about as close as I can imagine.  In terms of "clear of competition from other signals nationwide", do you mean competition from other wireless mic users?  The FCC has no intention of trying to keep users from interfering with each other; just from interfering with authorized TV stations or Public Safety/commercial radio users.

In terms of "clear of competition from other signals nationwide", do you mean competition from other wireless mic users?

I guess I just meant that it would be great to have a rarely-used frequency block (free of competition from other Mics), that would be fairly consistent from city to city.  However, it sounds like I was reading the situation wrong.

On another note, I'm really glad you're here on the group Chris!  I have been extremely impressed with my recent experiences using some of Shure's higher-end wireless systems recently, and I think your participation in this group is a great thing.

e.

• 4 weeks later...

A question asked in this thread on the old site, which doesn't seem to have migrated over.......

John Steigerwald asked: "Can one be licensed for more than six units in a block?"

Reply from Bill Ruck in SF:

Jay,

Regarding the number of transmitters, I don't know of a fixed limit. I

know of licenses with 12,000 transmitters in Part 90 Land Mobile Public

Safety. That many in a Low Power Broadcast Auxiliary license might

raise questions.

Your license is for wireless microphones and IFB. I think I've been

using "20" in UHF and "5" in Low Band and VHF. Walkies are in a

different band and would be a different license.

Bill

John, we will try to find out if there is a limit and let the thread know.

Jay Patterson

A question asked in this thread on the old site, which doesn't seem to have migrated over.......

Jay Patterson

Welcome back, Jay! Glad you got yourself over here. Some posts that were made after I started the migration process did not make the trip over here to the new site.

• 1 month later...

Update:

There are ten companies that have been approved to submit plans for a White Space Database. Microsoft, Google, Spectrum Bridge, Key Bridge, Telcordia, KB Enterprises, Airity, and a couple of others. The terms of the mandate from the FCC, who has washed their hands of actually administering the database, say that a Database Administrator must maintain a neutral position in their process, between primary and secondary (Auxiliary) licensees who must be protected, and making as much of the spectrum as available as possible to unlicensed users. Most of the applicants are also in the business of selling their services to the the flood of unlicensed users expected to emerge immediately upon the activation of functioning databases. Microsoft and Google have invested millions of dollars in White Space products and services, as they expect unlicensed white space to become a new profit frontier. I question their ability to actually remain neutral in the process.

What this means for us..... Expect every shred of available white space to be utilized 24/7 by as many operations that can be squeezed in. The ONLY way to have any priority over the unlicensed users is to HAVE A LICENSE. Not ONE of the applicants has published HOW they intend to protect us Part 74 users yet, though many, as I said, are investing beau coups bucks into selling available space, and our use takes away space they can sell... On the upside, one of the applicants, Key Bridge, has demonstrated a real commitment to neutrality, and has actually found me to discuss the needs of us production soundies. For the record, Key Bridge is also working intensely with the major networks in regards to the thousands of news crews, etc. There may be some hope.

Manufacturers (Microsoft, Motorola to name a few) are poised to DELIVER products in the last quarter of this year, PENDING FCC APPROVAL of the database plan.

I am attempting to communicate with all of the applicants, to see what a "one person through the front door" is up against, and will inform the group as to my findings. Also, along with NAB, which is fighting very hard to keep this new frontier from interfering with their broadcasting, the Engineers for the Integrity of Broadcast Auxiliary Services Spectrum (EIBASS) is also maintaining a vigilant watch.

IF ENOUGH OF YOU TURKEYS GET YOUR LICENSES, WE CAN JOIN THEM IN BEING VIGILANT!

This is the letter I've been sending to the applicants:

Re: White Space Database Administration

Dear Sirs,

I am a professional Production Sound Mixer in film and television production, and in order to fulfill my professional duties, I am required to use several channels of wireless microphones, twelve or more hours a day, five days a week. My days are divided between working in the various studios in Hollywood, and on location throughout southern California and adjacent states. I operate up to twenty transmitters simultaneously between 430 MHz and 698 MHz. I operate these transmitters legally – I hold an FCC Low Power Auxiliary Broadcast License (WQNJ498) which allows me to operate anywhere in the continental US, Alaska, Hawaii, and the US Territories. Any interference from unlicensed white space devices would have an immediate and devastating effect on my ability to perform the functions required by my profession.

As a database administrator, you are mandated by the FCC to protect my licensed operation, and I have not been able to determine from any information on your web presence or public statements as to the mechanisms you will provide to licensed Part 74 users in order to provide the mandated protections. Please understand that any interruption of my licensed operation is unacceptable, and would have a negative effect upon my livelihood.

I respectfully request that your White Space Database Administration office make available to me the exact procedures necessary to enter my operational data into the database. Please bear in mind that my locations and frequencies change daily or faster, due to the nature of the established practices of my profession.

I eagerly await your response.

Jay Patterson, CAS

WQNJ498

JCP/hs

Cc: Julius Genachowski, Chairman, FCC

My license is in the mail.

Fine letter, Jay. Would it help if more of us licensed users crafted similar letters?

Thanks for your good work, and for keeping us informed.

-- Jan

Yes Jan,

My notion is to be able to relate to the Database Administrators as a large, professional, articulate group, in order to represent our needs. As more of us get our licenses and band together, we should write letters to our representatives, get "star" endorsements, wave flags, etc.

The primary goal at this point is to insist that "experimental" use of the white spaces does not occur without protecting our licensed use. Terms such "exact procedures" (yes Michael), "livelihood", "established practice" and "historic use" need to be heard over and over. They are the new guys, and we must insist from the get go that their new profit frontier must not interfere with our jobs. We make the media - we know how to use it. It would not be to difficult to generate a fair amount of public sympathy (there are no CSIs, Bachelorettes, Desperate Housewives, Jersey Shores - without radio mics) and we as a group know how to get our word out.

As my research progresses, there will be many opportunities for all of us to kick in. This first letter is a test of "knocking on the front door", just to see if there will be any replies at all. As it stands, Key Bridge is working with me to develop a way for us to relate to the database, and input from all of us at the appropriate time will be invaluable. Stay tuned! (I just had to say that.....)

Jay

I paid Bill to file the application so I am sure he will be able to sort it out for me I would never fill out a application like that on my own

Me either, and your situation drove that point home for me and may do so for those thinking they can do it on their own. I thought I was up to it right up to the minute I got on the FCC website!

Good luck!

JG

Well my license doesn't use the wording "Valid Until" It says "Expiration Date" 4-01-2015.

My license says in the box titled "Radio Service" " LP- Broadcast Auxiliary Low Power" It also says in the box "Regulatory Status" "PMRS" Is this what your license says?

Bill Ruck also helped me file mine.

Andy

Well Bill got back to his response is below

This is an artifact of how broadcast licenses are granted. All AM, FM, and TV station licenses in a given area expire at the same time. Because Broadcast Auxiliary licenses are tied to a station license, they also expire at the same time.

You aren't a AM, FM, or TV station but your license, based on your city, expires when all of the other Broadcast Auxiliary licenses expire.

It does not make sense, but little that the FCC does makes sense.

Bill

Since all the licenses in my market expire on 04/2013 mine does as well. So I have to shell out another $145.00 in 2013 then my license will be valid for longer. Doesn't seem fair that we all pay the same but mine is valid for alot less time but as Bill stated "Little about the FCC makes sense"

Well my license doesn't use the wording "Valid Until" It says "Expiration Date" 4-01-2015.

My license says in the box titled "Radio Service" " LP- Broadcast Auxiliary Low Power" It also says in the box "Regulatory Status" "PMRS" Is this what your license says?

Bill Ruck also helped me file mine.

Andy

PMRS has many FCC designations. It could be: "Private Mobil Radio Systems", " Private Mobil Radio Service", "Personal Model Radio Service" or Personal Model Radio Systems". Only the FCC knows which designation is applicable to the wireless systems that we use.

Eric