New Site Questions

Eric Toline

DELETE function is a little kludgy at this point but I'm working on changing that by having a nice big prominent DELETE button. For now, and with the theme/structure we are using, I think you have to put a CHECK tick mark next to the post, then go down to "POST MODERATION" and choose "WITH SELECTED" and select delete --- or something like that. Bear with me, this will improve.

Thanks. I'm sure you have your hands full for the moment.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way things are set now, I think, is that NEWEST posts, replies, are at the bottom (like it or not). What seems to work well is this sequence: "View New Content" shows a nice list of all the new UN-read posts. Clicking on one of them takes you to that post (which happens to be at the bottom). Then, use the BACK function with your browser and you are returned to the list, the post you just read is grayed out (or indicated that it was read) and you go on to the next un-read message. When you tire of that, use the "Mark Board As Read", or whatever, and you're good to go.

The way things are set now, I think, is that NEWEST posts, replies, are at the bottom (like it or not). What seems to work well is this sequence: "View New Content" shows a nice list of all the new UN-read posts. Clicking on one of them takes you to that post (which happens to be at the bottom). Then, use the BACK function with your browser and you are returned to the list, the post you just read is grayed out (or indicated that it was read) and you go on to the next un-read message. When you tire of that, use the "Mark Board As Read", or whatever, and you're good to go.

That looks like a very efficient way to stay current with daily posts... and much easier than the old forum, where you had to hunt for the last read post so that you could proceed to read the new ones in order. This works great.

It looks like there is actually so many ways to view content on this site, it is quite confusing. I know we moved in on the whole new post at top, old post at bottom, etc., but I discovered another feature/function for viewing which is useful. In the column "Last Post Info" next to the Main Board section lists, you can click on a Topic Heading and it will take you to the "First Unread Post" in that topic. So, if you have already marked everything as read and you see that something new has shown up on a topic, it is easy to go quickly to the new post.

Maybe this needs a new topic - Personally I preferred the old style new comments listing at the bottom of the page, was a lot easier to read, see what was being said and a good way to check out what's going on quickly - Is this perhaps a setting that can be personally customised, does anyone know? I haven't had time to investigate myself, so please excuse the slight tardiness

Maybe this needs a new topic - Personally I preferred the old style new comments listing at the bottom of the page, was a lot easier to read, see what was being said and a good way to check out what's going on quickly - Is this perhaps a setting that can be personally customised, does anyone know? I haven't had time to investigate myself, so please excuse the slight tardiness

My god - Jeff was reading my mind!!!!!

Here's a privacy issue. On my profile, I changed the 'Show X latest visitors on my profile' from the default 0 to 10. I now see that 3 people have checked out my profile, and I see their names. I don't think I should be able to do that. The information one decides to put in their profile becomes public, but if someone wants to see it, it should be private.

Also, where's the speelchecker?

I like what you've done to the décor of our old pub.

The information one decides to put in their profile becomes public, but if someone wants to see it, it should be private.

Also, where's the speelchecker?

I don't quite understand the privacy issue. I think you can control almost everything that you have put in your Profile. I'm not sure, but I think you can set it so that no one can see anything except your name and that you are a registered member here. As for allowing others to see your Profile, to see whatever you have allowed them to see, I did not even know there was a setting for that. The fact that YOU can see that others have viewed your Profile, whose privacy is being compromised. I don't quite get it.

As for the spell checker, there is no administrative setting for Spell Checker or not. Spell Checking is still something I do not fully understand. Where is the spell checking utility residing? Is it on your computer, part of the operating system? Is it it part of your browser? I really don't know. For some reason, I can do a spell check on virtually any body of text regardless of where it is --- in a variety of word processors, text edit, Safari browser, etc. I do know that when I first put up this site, mis-spelled worlds were underlined squiggly as usual, but when right clicking on it I was NOT presented with suggested replacements as I usually am. I did once while checking select to "Correct spelling automatically" which is what it is doing right now. As I said, I do not fully understand this (but there must be others here who DO understand these things).

I'm not sure, but I think you can set it so that no one can see anything except your name and that you are a registered member here.

I am not correct about this. I think all members can view what you have put on your profile. This is one of the reasons that I have encouraged people to fill in the full About Me section where you can put anything about yourself there. I don't think there is anything you typically put in your profile that you wouldn't want other members to see.

The fact that YOU can see that others have viewed your Profile, whose privacy is being compromised.

Theirs.

As for the spell checker, there is no administrative setting for Spell Checker or not. Spell Checking is still something I do not fully understand. Where is the spell checking utility residing? Is it on your computer, part of the operating system? Is it it part of your browser? I really don't know. For some reason, I can do a spell check on virtually any body of text regardless of where it is --- in a variety of word processors, text edit, Safari browser, etc. I do know that when I first put up this site, mis-spelled worlds were underlined squiggly as usual, but when right clicking on it I was NOT presented with suggested replacements as I usually am. I did once while checking select to "Correct spelling automatically" which is what it is doing right now. As I said, I do not fully understand this (but there must be others here who DO understand these things).

The spellchecker on my Mac is in French. Not much use here. I get red dots under almost every word I type. The old site had a spellcheck button, right beside the post and preview buttons. It would open a new window and, well, spellcheck. A very useful feature.

The spell checker is in the browser and should be available for all "textarea" input boxes, such as the ones here.

Thank you Laurence. So, that means that with this site vs. the old site, I didn't take anything away from anybody if the spell checker is in their browser. It doesn't exactly explain, however, why the spell checking routine has changed for me while in this particular text box. I will talk to you, Laurence, a little more about this later as I think it relates the way this composition pane is configured, the Rich Text Editor and stuff.

Hi Jeff,

Forum is looking great! Really appreciate all the hard work you've put in.

I don't want to add more stress, but one feature I really used a lot on the old forum was the 'Go Down' and 'Go Up' buttons. Not sure if anyone else feels the same.

Cheers,

Jason

Hi Jeff,

Forum is looking great! Really appreciate all the hard work you've put in.

I don't want to add more stress, but one feature I really used a lot on the old forum was the 'Go Down' and 'Go Up' buttons. Not sure if anyone else feels the same.

Cheers,

Jason

I agree with Jason. I used the up\down feature quite a bit in the old forum. No big deal if we lose it though.

Best Regards,

Charlie