My last film

Glen Trew

I am curious if the DPA Windpac has worked out for you, Glen. I had high hopes for it since it applies all of the best principles of wind protection NOT utilized by most of the other conventional windscreens, but I had one for a week and there was just one thing wrong with it: lousy wind protection.

Hi Jeff,

The DPA Windpac has a lot going for it. It is absolutely acoustically transparent. The suspension gives very good isolation, and is universal in terms of accepting all mics commonly used on a boom. The suspension will also accommodate two microphones over/under style for M/S configurations. It is lightweight and it's very fast to go from exterior to interior mode, so it is usually preferred by the boom op.

It has a lot going for it as long as there's not much wind. The problem is not that wind gets to the microphone (it doesn't). The problem is that wind, when coming at the broadside, turns the Windpac into a bass drum. The sound that this "bass drum" makes when wind hits it is exactly the same sound as wind noise. I've never used the DPA rain cover while in the rain, but it does help reduce this "drum affect" when the wind picks up. But, in the end, it is not as affective in higher wind as the traditional Rycote Windjammer rig.

So, for exteriors, we usually build two poles with Sennheiser MKH-60. The primary is hardwired and uses the DPA WindPac, and the second boom is wireless with the Rycote Windjammer. If we need a wireless boom, or if the wind picks up, we use the Rycote. If the wind is light, we use the DPA. If it's very windy and we need two booms, we're screwed (not really, I have other tricks in the cart). Options are good.

Glen

"It has a lot going for it as long as there's not much wind. The problem is not that wind gets to the microphone (it doesn't). The problem is that wind, when coming at the broadside, turns the Windpac into a bass drum."

This is exactly what I was hearing and I did realize it was not wind actually getting to the mic. It seemed very much to be subject to the position of the Windpac in relation to the wind --- this would confirm what you are talking about. Everything else you say about the Windpac is totally correct --- that's why I was hoping it would be THE windscreen for all time. Not so. I think I DO have the perfect windscreen now but it does not fit a long mic: it is the Zephyx windscreen from Cinela and it is a beauty!

I have not purchased the Zephyx Cinela windscreen, but I've been dying to have a couple of them for my two Schoeps CMIT 5U. Getting them into Los Angeles has been difficult -- but maybe the Coffey/Trew combo could get that happening?!

They are also expensive. Here's a photo of one. If I remember, Jeff tested one that was a demo from Coffey Sound for his Schoeps 641 and posted photos back on the original site.

post-273-0-48486700-1315868549.jpg

Sorry to bring you the bad news but the present Zephyx windscreen will NOT work with the Schoeps CMIT (shotgun) mic. It won't work for the Sanken CS-3e either. It is very close and maybe with an ultra small custom XLR connector you might just barely be able to get it to work for those mics. The good news, following the above bad news, is that it works perfectly for short Schoeps, even with the CUT-1, and it is the most effective and best sounding (transparent in all respects) windscreen I have ever used. We used it almost everyday on the last movie (which was about 80% exterior shooting).

I spoke to the people with Cinela (a French company) and they said they are working on a slightly larger model that will accommodate the longer microphones --- this was over a year ago. Some of the reluctance to produce another model comes from the fact that it is a French company that has had comparatively low volume of sales here in the US and their primary market (sound mixers in Europe) seem to be less concerned regarding the use of longer microphones. It has been my impression that as a group, US sound mixers are much more likely to use a long mic rather than a short mic. I know this is a little bit of a marketing conundrum for Cinela since they will never really increase their sales here unless they provide an item that we want. I'm happy with the Zephyx as is but I know that I am one of the few sound mixers who actually uses the short Schoeps outdoors, routinely, on just about every job I do.

" what drives the use of shorter mics in Europe? "

With "shorter mic's" meaning interference tube microphones, which get their directional characteristics from a different mechanism than cardioid / hyper-cardioid mic's, then it has to do with the sound quality issues, both on and off axis. Newer microphones like the CMIT are being designed trying to minimize these differences.

" what drives the use of shorter mics in Europe? "

With "shorter mic's" meaning interference tube microphones, which get their directional characteristics from a different mechanism than cardioid / hyper-cardioid mic's, then it has to do with the sound quality issues, both on and off axis. Newer microphones like the CMIT are being designed trying to minimize these differences.

Is your name Jeff?

Eric

...anyhow, Mr. Trew, I hope this "last-one-for-awhile" is one of the good ones--nice people, good script, pleasant locations and not too hurried a pace.

phil p

Thanks, Phil. This film is exactly those things. Will finish these last 5 weeks at one interior location that is a 5 minute motorcycle ride from my house, with rock-star parking right next to the sound trailer.

post-124-0-69908500-1316007568.jpg