Knowing When to Buy Gear

Tim M

" I am having trouble getting legal representation. "

while it is probably a considerable sum for you, to a law firm, it is probably pretty small, and thus "not worth it", in terms of a %, or too costly for you if fee based...

Exactly.

this is also a lesson in being an employee vs being a contractor...

That is still confusing me a bit... I will have to search the board for information on that... but, I welcome any advice or knowledge in that area.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, I tend to put off large purchases until I have an approaching job justifying it, though the danger if this is relying on new gear you don't know well yet. My ass has indeed been bitten by this. So deploy the strategy with caution.

Part of the reason I prefer cash even if it has slowed my growth. I have the advantage of not needing a particular piece of equipment to make money right away. Of course I can always take out a loan for something specific if I need it and have a job scheduled that requires it.

On that rewards thing.. If you get a business card, the reward points are a lot higher. Watch them though, as the reward points expire.. I cash them in about every 6-9 months, and get gift certificates for either best buy or Amazon. Then I can buy small things for the biz, like memory cards.

-Richard

Sorry guys I know we seem to have split the thread here with Denielle's payment (or non payment) problem,

It may be different in USA, but here in Australia, there are many debt collection agencies, surely you guys have something similar.

Thankfully I have only had this happen 2 or 3 times in my 16 years of freelance. The agency here takes about 10%-15% (well worth it).

I've done it fto collect as little as a basic day rate. I was gonna let it go but nah f#$* that. I spend the day away from my family and other fruitful employment, then I'm stuffing money in another dudes pocket.

All it took was one alarming looking letter of final demand an they have always paid up. In taking a leaf from their book, last time I only threatened them with the debt collectors and the money stream began to trickle!

Good luck,

Jerry.

But on the original thread,

Keep your ear to the ground, and eyes on the second hand pages of Gotham/Coffey/Pro-Sound etc,

I've gotta have a rental or an imminent one before purchase, 2nd hand gear can be pretty much assured of being paid for by a job of 15-30 (without counting your chickens, calculate how many days the gear will be paid for in) I love a job that buys me gear and pays my wage too! The more last minute I can make these purchases, the less time it is sitting around doing nothing.

Jerry.