recommendations for open-back headphones

daniel

To avoid the ear fatigue of wearing closed-back headphones (and in situations where i can get away with it) i'd like to add some open-back HPs to my collection. I generally used sennheiser HD25s and sony 7506s, I also like (but don't own) dt250s. Oh yeah, they need to be circumaural as I have big sticky out ears (another reason why hd25s are fatiguing for me).

atb,

dan.

I don't know of any situation in which open back headphones are acceptable for our line of work. It occurs to me that the only time you'd be able to use them would be in situations with higher background noise/ambience. Then, since they are open back, you are going to have to turn them up louder to hear what you are doing, and will therefor be creating a counterproductive situation where your risk of both headphone bleed into the mix and ear fatigue goes up.

I think Greg has the right idea. Best bet is to rest your ears whenever possible. For run and gun situations I use a Rip Tie carabiner attached to the shoulder portion of my VersaFlex harness so I can take the headphones off very quickly and still have easy access to them once they are in the Rip Tie. It allows me to rest my ears more often when it's appropriate on set.

To avoid the ear fatigue of wearing closed-back headphones (and in situations where i can get away with it) i'd like to add some open-back HPs to my collection. I generally used sennheiser HD25s and sony 7506s, I also like (but don't own) dt250s. Oh yeah, they need to be circumaural as I have big sticky out ears (another reason why hd25s are fatiguing for me).

atb,

dan.

The Sennheiser HD600 have a nice sound and are very comfortable headphones, but is too risky use open headphones.

Cheers

I don't know of any situation in which open back headphones are acceptable for our line of work.

Might get away with it in location where the mixer is cart based and in a well isolated room away from the set? Not an everyday occurrence for many of us.

A non-soundie friend of mine has a pair of the Sennheiser HD650s open backs which to my ears have a lovely clarity to the sound. If I win the lottery tomorrow I might even buy a pair for home use. He also has a pair of HD595 which are sound very similar, just slightly lower impedance.

~Mark.

Might get away with it in location where the mixer is cart based and in a well isolated room away from the set? Not an everyday occurrence for many of us.

A non-soundie friend of mine has a pair of the Sennheiser HD650s open backs which to my ears have a lovely clarity to the sound. If I win the lottery tomorrow I might even buy a pair for home use.

~Mark.

Very good point. Most of my work is run and gun, & when I do work with a boom operator I am very close so I didn't even think of that.

8)

Between the HD650 and HD600 is just a taste matter, some prefer the HD600 and some the HD650 (I prefer the HD600), and the nearest cousin is the HD580 (discontinued) that is a HD600 without the metal grilles (Have a plastic ones) (Is easily found in eBay). IMMO the HD595 is in other league (lower league).

I'm using the HD600 on location music recording (in other room)

~Mark.

This is exactly the circumstance to which i refer when I say - "in situations where I can get away with it."

IE. something close to where you might use near field monitors but would prefer an even closer solution.

And it is indeed a rare occurrence for most of us but something I am exploring as I look to be in these very circumstances for 12 hours x 50 or so days.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Dan.

Don't bother with open phones on set - closed that gives you isolation and then lowering the volume is much better (I sometimes leave my headphones on with no volume just to rest my ears).

I own a pair of HD580 and HD595, and would definately give a nod to the former between the two. However there are many options out there for home use or editing. You can find an overabundant amount of information over at head-fi.org, as long as you're not allergic to deep reviews full of audiophile terms and endless comparisons discussing small nuances.

If youve gotta have open back, check out the Sennheiser HD-598's. I do own a pair of HD-650's and while they are amazing for music I wouldnt dream of using them in the field. They dont seem rugged enough to and they are VERY NOT sound isolating and would probably show in your recording! FWIW I have a set of the Denon AH-D5000 cans and while those are listed as closed back, they are very poor at sound isolating. Amazing sounding, but again, not for location sound capturing.

" And it is indeed a rare occurrence for most of us "

thus most of us have little or no experience with them...

I fear, because i quoted my original question and my (accidental) use of 18pt instead of 14pt in my last post may have suggested that i was frustrated by responses to the topic. If my post gave that impression it was not my intention and i am very sorry. I very much appreciate ALL the responses so far and i was aware my original post could have been clearer (hence the 2nd post comparing the context of the headphones use to near field monitors).

And even if i've only managed to offend our dear tomtenisse with my ignorance and flippant use of the "Post" button i am sorry.

Perhaps it would be possible to build into the site a "pre-post, send-to-senator" button as a quality control function:-)