Powering a bds from your car

larry long

I'm doing car to car Monday and I have permission to rig my truck and have my boom op drive close to the actor driven picture car and stay within wireless range. I was charging my batts tonight and thought I'd make up a cig lighter input cable for my bds system. Has anyone done this?

Thanks.

Larry

How are you going to light your cigs? Most cigarette lighter sockets are fused, generally 10 or 15A, which should be overkill for your application. The only word of warning, not all DC connectors are created equal, some of them are quite intermittent, so test whatever plug adapter you use to make sure it makes good contact with your socket, so you don't get unintentional breaks in power during use.

<12v dc is 12v dc>

It's not necessarily 12v DC - It will be whatever your battery is charged to when the vehicle is not running (probably 12.6 or 12.8 volts) and may jump to 13.5 when the vehicle is running.

It will not necessarily be clean power while the vehicle is running either. I would test it...

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

I think I will do it just for shits and giggles to see what I get. Are there any small power supplies that can float on 12v? For example it would run on NP1s only if the 12v input from the vehicle goes away; ie a compact meon but that takes 12v input in stead of AC.

I think I will do it just for shits and giggles to see what I get. Are there any small power supplies that can float on 12v? For example it would run on NP1s only if the 12v input from the vehicle goes away; ie a compact meon but that takes 12v input in stead of AC.

You're basically talking about a 12V UPS. You can make one with a SLA battery (not NP1s) using this: http://www.mini-box.com/picoUPS-120-12V-DC-micro-UPS-battery-backup?sc=8&category=981

It is designed to switch between a DC power source, and a SLA battery, and also integrates a two-stage charger.