The changing face of timecode - your opinions

Twade

To the OP, et al.,

Withe the release of the Nikon D600 at $2K and this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?is=REG&Q=&A=details&O=productlist&sku=892601 @ 60 bucks,

wireless TC may be possible, by extension, for many devices/cameras, by adding similar, Rx &Tx adapters, to bidirectionally handle Tc, at a fraction of what it now costs. Sure not as robust, or even possible-maybe-at this price point and with these pieces, but the time is nearly nigh. Just wait till BM sees this...

Thank you very much

Fury

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

To me, it boils down to cost factors, reliability, and battery life. Video Village doesn't need timecode, since they see it out of the camera. The camera needs it, but typically all they need to do is jam a few times a day. A jammed slate will stay accurate for hours and hours al day. Scripty usually sits next to video village and gets timecode off that monitor -- though I agree, an app or other reader might be handy.

As I recall, the GR-2 is about $600 or so, so the timecode receiver involved would have to be that cheap or cheaper in order for this to work. But I bet the GR-2 could go for days and days on one battery -- I know for sure the (larger) SB-T will.

i tried that output the tc by ERX, then connect it to the iPhone by a cable,if i remember correctly, the tip or the 3rd ring is the input signal for the tc input into the iPhone, then use it with the Denecke timecode app on the phone to display it, it works,as long as you keep the screen on, but sometimes may crashed, no idea why.Maybe on an ipad mini it could be more useful

GR2 is really nice, its display is small for a camera shot sometimes but better than you don't have anything,the li-batts last at least two weeks

i tried that output the tc by ERX, then connect it to the iPhone by a cable,if i remember correctly, the tip or the 3rd ring is the input signal for the tc input into the iPhone, then use it with the Denecke timecode app on the phone to display it, it works,as long as you keep the screen on, but sometimes may crashed, no idea why.Maybe on an ipad mini it could be more useful

I've only ever been able to get accurate Timecode on an iOS device by using my Timecode buddy system. I found that all other iOS apps cannot compensate for the LTC stream quickly enough (Ambients app included).