Have you experience this_Sanken Cos-11D ssssssss.....

hiro nakamura

Hi guys, 

I got another issue here on my Sanken Cos-11D. 

Lend two of them to a friend of mine who used them NOT for interviews or Miking people.

On a gig shoot, instead of shooting interviews, the producer decided to record the band's playing.... Without asking me.... My friend gaffer taped my both Sanken cos-11D on those big ass Guitar speaker and bass speaker to get clear sound.

He told me that his audio level were not clipping at all... 

HOWEVER, after I got back my two cos-11D, I did an interview today, it sounded a bit hissss.... when the interviewee speaks up.... is like if there is no one talks, the sound seems to be ok, but when a bit higher volume, the audio is with a bit outline of hisss...........

I experienced that even before my friend did this to my Sanken Cos-11D.... 

Anyone knows what might be the problem, should I send the lavs back to Sanken to have a check ?

Thanks a lot

Hiro

Weird stuff as well, I just heard that he used my Zaxcom ones (Sanken Cos-11Ds) On the music recording as well ......

I just did test, Nothing wrong with the Cos 11D.... whats the problem then... ?

I have no other lavs which were not suffered from the music recording...s... I need to do a test on other countryman B3 that I have to make sure if its the lav problem or my new SMQv+ SRb

;( ....BAD ... that's really BAD!

HIRO

At the moment, I can't be 100% sure if the sanken cos 11d s are broken. I suspend that's the smqv s limiter as well or the wireless interference ....

I am getting a set of UCR411 + UM400a to give one last try to make sure where its the problem.

I have already contact sanken, see what they say about it;(.

Sometimes shxt happens:(

Thanks guys for your inputs.

Hiro

there is possible that because SM and Um series need different wiring of the COS 11d , adding resistor as Lectro suggest make SM sound softer . So u may check rather this cause problems

And reduces distortion by a factor of 10 or more.(!)  Make sure your COS-11's are wired according to the Lectro site. It really isn't optional.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

I've had issues with at least 4 of my Sankens that were miswired from Sanken themselves... granted it was for Zaxcom transmitters, but it took a lot of back and forth before they would acknowledge that there was an error - and even then, I paid for shipping and parts, which didn't make me completely happy with their service, since I purchased a product which had a flaw from the beginning.

Thanks so much guys for our valuable inputs!

Hope that solve the problem. 

I bought the whole set from Gothamsound about a month ago. Ideally, they would not give me a wrong wiring sanken Cos11Ds to match my SMQv unites... however, I will double check for sure.  Send Sanken back to Japan is my last step ...I might just get two countryman B3 instead if theshipping and repairing cost a lot. ;( I have only used them for few days .... what a life!

Hiro

I bought the whole set from Gothamsound about a month ago. Ideally, they would not give me a wrong wiring sanken Cos11Ds to match my SMQv unites... however, I will double check for sure.  Send Sanken back to Japan is my last step ...I might just get two countryman B3 instead if theshipping and repairing cost a lot. ;( I have only used them for few days .... what a life!

Hiro

Hiro,

I would consult with your dealer first and see if they can help you out.  

Hiro

Hi Hiro,

You can send the COS-11 to my attention and I can check out the wiring and compare to the COS-11's we have here. I'm curious. If you decide to do that, email me at larryf@lectrosonics.com

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

" Lend two of them to a friend of mine who used them NOT for interviews or Miking people. "

did they go into the canal (another thread)...

once you lend (or rent them out) you loose control, of how they are used, but...

" I experienced that even before my friend did this to my Sanken Cos-11D...."

sounds like what ever your friend did or did not do had no affect!

" Sounds like your friend might be buying you new COS11's. "

why?

" I'd flip a table if someone used my wires for micing a band instead of a
person. Epecially since it was placed onto the amp itself?
"

why?? (most lav's can take a pretty high SPL, before distorting, and even then they probably are not damaged by high (music) SPL's...and they are often used in the music world to mic instruments.

You were wise to deal with one of our "usual suspects", Bernie is right,  work with them...

and Larry made you a great offer, if that is easier for vyou...

Edited by studiomprd

Hi guys,

Here is an update of the Sanken Cos-11D test.

I went to a gear house to check the COS -11D, they told me that it didn't wire the way, either like on the sanken website or Lectros, which is with 1k (external resistor,  I am not sure what it is called, it's a small bean shape block).

So I asked them for the re-wiring. 

However, it is not the Sanken COS-11D problem!  It might be the transmitter or receiver's limiter, if there is any....

After the re-wiring, they brought up their SMD along with UCR411 for testing the lav, which sounds good and also we tested a countryman B3...on my SMQv,  also with hiss.....

So the conclusion for today:

Nothing wrong with the Sanken COS-11D, with old wiring or re-wiring. they sounded ok on UCR411 +SMd

Plugged countryman B3 on my SRb + SMQv, still have hiss.... which I am not sure if that's wireless limiters ....enable ...or anything. 

I remembered ... when I didn't interview with the interviewee, the ones with hiss.... They all did the interviews with their cell phone on, even they told me was off...actually, they must mute the ring...

I think I will try to run more test... 

At the meantime, thanks for everyone's inputs!

Hiro