Interesting shot from The Life of Pi

Eric Toline

Why not a Fisher boom?  I'll hazard a guess that may not be the answer in this particular situation but would apply to many.  It's a dying art and there are many top-notch sound mixers and top-notch boom operators who have never used one or even seen one up close and have an unrealistic understanding of how they work, what they do, how much they cost, etc. etc.  That's not a very good reason but I think it is the reason that they are overlooked in some situations where they might have been very helpful.

It shouldn't be that hard to get a Fisher Boom out into the middle of the ocean. "

or at least onto that stage...

pretty much my thoughts as well,  and I suspect a Fisher would have been a valuable, and probably welcome addition on that shoot

and as Laurence put it,  they may not have realized and considered it, or as I put it, sometimes folks overlook the obvious

Anytime there was a rain shot I use to order up a Fisher with the big base.  Saved on the back seeing that a soaked zepplin with hogs hair weighs a ton when you're out 20 feet on a fish pole.  I'd order the long arms so I could get my body out of the rain too.  The Fisher's were surprisingly cheap to rent if I remember right.

WOW WOW WOW ! Let's apply the parking brake right here. Under no circumstances should a Fisher Boom ever be exposed to rain. The moisture will affect the pulleys, bearings and talc used on the cords and create noise and corrosion, the duvetyne  will get wet and corrode the exterior of the tube causing more damage  The arm would have to go back to Fisher for a major rebuild with every bearing (and there is a lot of them) replaced with new ones, every pulley would have to be cleaned and repolished The cost for new parts and labor would be huge and charged to the production company.

"Mirror"

I'm having a hard time buying your story "Anytime there was a rain shot I use to order up a Fisher with the big base" Well guess what, They don't come as a one piece and ready to go,2 or more hours is needed to put a fisher together and balanced properly. which means you and someone else (as it takes at least two people) to put a Fisher together. The PM is going to bring you and some else in on a two hour pre call plus an hour or more after wrap to disassemble the rig just so you can keep your ass out of the rain, all this for a guide track. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN !

Phil "KJR"

ve7kjr, on 25 Apr 2013 - 02:38, said:

WOW WOW WOW ! Let's apply the parking brake right here. Under no circumstances should a Fisher Boom ever be exposed to rain. The moisture will affect the pulleys, bearings and talc used on the cords and create noise and corrosion, the duvetyne will get wet and corrode the exterior of the tube causing more damage The arm would have to go back to Fisher for a major rebuild with every bearing (and there is a lot of them) replaced with new ones, every pulley would have to be cleaned and repolished The cost for new parts and labor would be huge and charged to the production company.

"Mirror"

I'm having a hard time buying your story "Anytime there was a rain shot I use to order up a Fisher with the big base" Well guess what, They don't come as a one piece and ready to go,2 or more hours is needed to put a fisher together and balanced properly. which means you and someone else (as it takes at least two people) to put a Fisher together. The PM is going to bring you and some else in on a two hour pre call plus an hour or more after wrap to disassemble the rig just so you can keep your ass out of the rain, all this for a guide track. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN !

Phil "KJR"

It happened, and quite often. What? You don't know how to read a schedule? Hint: All that paperwork that they drop off at the sound cart about twice a day (and you must throw away without reading) are schedules about what scenes are going to be shot in the days to come. From those schedules you'll see when the rain scenes are to be shot. With a little foresight you can order up your Fisher. Hell, if your shooting downtown Hollywood you can order one up that morning and have transpo go get it. Set it up during the day and shoot the rain stuff at night. For some reason it only rains at night in the movies. (Side note: Have you ever noticed that it has always just rained whenever there's a walk and talk outside at night - even in the middle of Nevada. The streets are always wet. Strange.)

As far as it taking 2 hours to set up - you must really be sandbagging it or everyday's the first day in your brain. You put the arm on the base, string up the XLR, throw the weights on the back, put the extension rod on the head (before the tilt hangers came out) to accommodate the zeppelin. It's not rocket surgery. And why in the hell would it take you an hour to do that in reverse at wrap? And do you only work on shows with a 2 man crew? You can't get/don't have a cable guy to help you? By the way, whenever you work on features, there is nothing but time on your hands. Setups take so damn long I use to take 3 naps a day and still not know how to keep from getting bored. (Another side note: On one occasion, my cable guy accidentally dropped the model 6 base - that's the huge one - off the back of a stake bed. Quite the sight to see him get catapulted 10 feet trying to save that thing. Anyway, the fall knocked the wheels out of whack. I had to open up the base and take off the master link of the chain that ties the wheels together to realign them. That may not of been the proper way to fix the problem but that scenario isn't covered in the 2 sheets of paper Fisher gives you when you rent them. I bring this up because I did all of that before I had to use the Fisher for the rain shot.)

As far as what they did when it got back to the shop, I have no idea, but that equipment gets wet, whether it's in the rain or sitting outside on a night shoot getting soaked by dew. FWIW, I tried to keep the base and crank area dry because that's where I sat. When that wasn't possible, Implement Rule # 1: Put a plastic bag over the seat to keep your ass dry later on in the night.

So in conclusion: Parking brake off. IT DID HAPPEN ! (That bold lettering seems a little gay...but whatever, I guess)

Mirror "M"

And because I have time on my hands today I'll add this P.S.

Those bearings are sealed and packed with grease. I use those type of bearings on my motorcycle that goes through water, mud and dirt every time I ride. I replace them every couple of years and even then that's because it's on a schedule and not a "have to".

P.S.S. The tone of my post might seem a little harsh. I chose that tone because Phil "KJR" called me a liar. His reasoning is weak to make such an accusation.

Mirror, May suggest you call Chris or Cary at Fisher 818-846-8366 or email info@jlfisher.com and run the idea of using a Fisher Boom in the rain or under a rain tower.

Phil "KJR"

I'm pretty sure they would say the same thing about using them outside on a dusty day. Equipment needs to be used in the environments we film in.

And another P.S.

The main purpose of using the Fisher in the rain was to keep me out of the hospital.  Holding a water soaked 816 sized zeppelin covered in hogs hair on a fish pole  extended 18' will eventually put you in a hospital.  Keeping my body out of the rain was a bonus.

And another P.S.

The main purpose of using the Fisher in the rain was to keep me out of the hospital. Holding a water soaked 816 sized zeppelin covered in hogs hair on a fish pole extended 18' will eventually put you in a hospital. Keeping my body out of the rain was a bonus.

Dont fancy 45 degree angles in yer spine eh?

Phil might be referring to the setup time required if you're ordering a 26 or a 29 that is being shipped by air.  In that case, you'll have to assemble the arm and that can take some time.  Definitely not required when shooting anywhere near Hollywood.  (Hear that, Producers?)  As far as Mirror's comments about shooting in the rain... hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.  I don't think Fisher or Panavision or any of the other equipment providers are very happy about it, but rain and mud happen.  And so do L&D reports.