SD633 Smoking

Earmuffs

On a job using a 633 and about a minute after I hot swapped an NP1 it fizzled a bit and let out some smoke on the left side by XLR inputs 2 and 3, smelled like metal and plastic. I pulled the NP1 since that's the last thing that changed, it still runs on the internal and external batts. I recommended to the owner to send it in for a check. Anyone see this happen?

-Mike M

earmuffs: " it fizzled a bit and let out some smoke on the left side by XLR inputs 2 and 3, smelled like metal and plastic. "

... and you have to ask ??

And yet another lame comment. Come on Mike, the point is to find out of anyone has their 633 go up in smoke and details if so, that's it. You're obviously a guy with a wealth of useful knowledge, doesn't it make sense to just try being constructive once in a while?

-Mike M

1) I would definitely send it in for a check, can't hurt to call too but I don't see them saying "yeah, no worries" 2) off the top of my head, maybe a voltage regulator (protection circuit?) went up? It's hard to hot swap an NP1 and reverse polarity. Maybe the current external power is ok, but knowing some NP1s can be high voltage right off the charger, I would have it checked instead of risking something causing more serious (expensive) damage. 

earmuffs: " the point is to find out of anyone has their 633 go up in smoke and details if so "

why ?

if yours has gone up in smoke, it needs to be checked, at the minimum... Perhaps there was operator error, but CRAP happens.

David: " Haven't had that happen . . Sounds bad. Where's there smoke there fire. Theres a short circuit there somewhere. "

earmuffs: " the point is to find out of anyone has their 633 go up in smoke and details if so, that's it. "

you're right, David and Mike are more helpful in that regard.

OK,  try this one:

This morning my car's computer screen is flickering, and not just a little bit, but major flickering; anyone had this happen ??

Edited by studiomprd

Something similar happened to an early 664 I purchased, although I was engaging AES Power and the unit shut down completely.  I was told that the there was a grounding problem with the chassis on the inside of the unit.  It was fully replaced.  I would have the owner talk in detail to Von or Jesse @ SD.