Soft velour MDR-7506 earpad upgrade

Sam Mallery

I've been using these velour Pearstone Deluxe Earpads on my MDR-7506 for about a week, and I love them. Here's a link to the review that I wrote:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/newsLetter/Deluxe-Earpads.jsp

They're so much more comfortable that the stock earpads, I figured the jwsound people should know about them. I haven't worked on a location job with them yet, but I'm confident they will help make the day go by more smoothly. It's like getting a brand new (and different) set of headphones for $20. Worth a try...

My only fear is... where will it end? Once I try velour on my ears, perhaps I might then buy velour trousers. Before you know it, I look like Paris Hilton in a full velour jump suit or something.

I had a pair of blue velour bell bottoms I bought on Carnaby Street in 1967...  never wore them to work though.

-  JW

I don't mean to rain on any parades, but feel compelled to report:

Pearlstone would appear to be a house brand of B&H -- which, it would also appear, they sometimes use to sell knockoffs of other brands.

For instance, at NAB, Manfred Klemme (K-TEK) mentioned that B&H were selling an unauthorized knock-off of his "Suspenders" suspension.  Manfred designed, originated, and manfacturers the Suspenders.  The K-TEK Suspenders are great, BTW, and I've found the quality of the rubber to be such that they're very difficult to tear or damage, even if one were to try.  The singular review for the Pearlstone knock-offs  reads:  "Good shock absorption.... but didn't work in the AT low profile shock mount. The rubber broke when inserted in the shock mount."  

I can assure you from experience, that wouldn't happen with Manfred's.

So, my guess is that these earpads are knock-offs of the Beyer ones:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/313962-REG/Beyerdynamic_942704_Padded_Earcushions_for_DT250_DT280.html

I've been using the Beyer cushions for some time now and really like them a lot.  I have them on both Sony 7506 cans and on Remote Audio HN-7506 headphones.

John B.

...generally speaking, you get what you pay for, and of course, Caveat Emptor!

Generally true, yes, but not always.  The genuine K-Tek Suspenders are $18 while the knock-offs are $19:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/292948-REG/K_Tek_K_SUS_K_SUS_Microphone_Suspenders_Pair_.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/564218-REG/Pearstone_4P_SSS_4P_SSS_4_Point_Microphone.html

At NAB, Manfred mentioned lowering his price as a counter-measure to their unauthorized knock-off.

Definitely the Emptor should watch his Caveat!

John B.

I just posted this because after using them for a week I'm convinced that these pads are the best way to go for 7506 users. Period. They're more comfortable than the Beyer earpads because they have a foam layer with a silky surface that covers the headphone drivers. The Beyers (which are designed for Beyerdynamic headphones) are just rings that expose your ears to the drivers. The only thing a buyer should beware of is an unnecessary witch hunt.

sorry Sam,  not out on a which hunt,  the statement is meant as a general caution that it is the buyers responsibility to make the choices. no disrespect for OEM products generally, or for any specific ones.

I think no one will be surprised to read that Lectrosonics does not actually manufacture the lav mic's they sell with Lectro model and part numbers...

and Lectrosonics stands behind them just the same as they do anything they do manufacture!

Sam, you are in somewhat an unusual position, and it is similar to, for example, Glen Trew:

you write about stuff that your company sells, you are pretty directly involved in the company's marketing efforts.  For some folks this, and your possible bias, is a factor they may consider, that's all...

...The only thing a buyer should beware of is an unnecessary witch hunt.

Sam, this is not a witch hunt.

I stated what I knew to be fact, and clearly labeled my comparison of these pads to Beyers as a "guess."  I don't call that a "witch hunt," I call it trying to share information to help others make an informed decision.  

Your clarification is helpful, your negative attitude is not.

John B.

This thread is already far longer than the subject merits, but for clarification I use the Beyers on my 7506 'phones and they DO have a foam layer with a silky surface that covers the headphone drivers. I prefer them to the originals and vastly prefer them to using the Hank Garfield chenille covers.

PG

I've been meaning to try buy some velour covers. They've been nice when I've run across them on recording studio AKGs.

I wonder if there are any that would fit the HN-7506s.

To extend this already long thread, and move it more off-topic, the injection molding quality on the Pearstone version of the K-Tek K-SUS looks mighty questionable. My machinist uncle would say "crappy-assed" shut-offs, referring to the flashing all around the edges of the rubber. It doesn't bode well for an contained and even, thus strong and reliable injection shot.

And ++ for velour pants.

...I wonder if there are any that would fit the HN-7506s...

I use the same Beyer pads on my HN-7506s.  If memory serves, they may have been a bit harder to install, but once on, they work great.  The Beyers probably isolate a tad less than the standard fluid or jell filled cushions, but I still really like them.

John B.

I've been using the Beyer cushions for some time now and really like them a lot.  I have them on both Sony 7506 cans and on Remote Audio HN-7506 headphones.

John, there were reports on RAMPS that the Beyer pads changed the sound of the 7506's. Did they sound OK to you?

Me, I started using the Garfield pads a few years ago and thought they were OK. If anything, I think they knocked down the "tizziness" of the high end a dB or so and made them less fatiguing when I had to wear them for 10-12 hours. No question, a lot of leather ear pads will make you sweat like crazy. I'll definitely try the Beyers and see how they compare.

--Marc W.

John, there were reports on RAMPS that the Beyer pads changed the sound of the 7506's. Did they sound OK to you?...

Yes, they do sound a bit different.  I would guess the thicker pads have something to do with that since they sit a tad further from the ears.  I got used to them pretty quickly.  One of these days I'll compare them to a pair of original Sonys and see what I think.

I really welcome the Beyers on my Remote Audio HNs.  After a few hours with the original pads, the HNs would start to hurt from the center plastic pressing slightly against my ears.

I do have a pair of the Garfield covers that I tried on both the Sony and the Remote Audio cans but I like the Beyer pads a whole lot better.

John B.

I used the Garfield covers for about a day.  Couldn't stand them, but that's just me.  The Beyer pads are negligibly more, and I don't perceive enough of a difference on my 7506 to make it hard to get used to.  But I do almost exclusively use my DT250 now, so I'm not as in tune with my 7506 as I used to be.

Robert

OK, let me ask you this:

With the Beyer velour type pads, how well do the things stay on your head?  I currently use Garfield softies and it's an improvement in comfort from ratty pleather but I notice that with the chenille the cans can inadvertently slide off a lot easier.. 

It's a fine balance I guess, I can't stand the HN remote audio set because of its "brain vice" effect.. same with Senn HD280s

OK, let me ask you this:

With the Beyer velour type pads, how well do the things stay on your head?  I currently use Garfield softies and it's an improvement in comfort from ratty pleather but I notice that with the chenille the cans can inadvertently slide off a lot easier.. 

It's a fine balance I guess, I can't stand the HN remote audio set because of its "brain vice" effect.. same with Senn HD280s

Less "brain vice" with the Beyers on the HNs, and I find that the Sonys stay on better with them.

John B.

Less "brain vice" with the Beyers on the HNs, and I find that the Sonys stay on better with them.

John B.

I agree with Derek H about the 7506 sliding with the Garfields especially if you wear glasses. The original 7506 cushions kind of molded them selves to the contours of the temples with glasses and the Garfields don't seem to do that. In my case it's no big deal as my 7506's are extras as I use Ultrasones as the primary HP's.

Eric

Sam, you are in somewhat an unusual position

It is an unusual position. I get a lot of useful information for the location work that I do from this forum. I tried out these earpads and they felt nice on my head, so I posted about them. I do my best to remain neutral when it comes to my day job. Because at the end of the day, that's really all it is to me. A paycheck... some food on my table. It's just that these things felt so nice and mushy that I wanted to share.

It is an unusual position. I get a lot of useful information for the location work that I do from this forum. I tried out these earpads and they felt nice on my head, so I posted about them. I do my best to remain neutral when it comes to my day job. Because at the end of the day, that's really all it is to me. A paycheck... some food on my table. It's just that these things felt so nice and mushy that I wanted to share.

I was the person who posted comments about the Pearlstone brand, and in doing so, I assure you I had no intent whatsoever to criticize you, personally, or the fact that you posted a review.  You shared something you found that you liked and that's a good thing.

If you've ever met Manfred Klemme (dare I say, "the legendary Manfred Klemme"?), I think you'd understand better what motivated me to share what I know about at least one Pearlstone product.

The only thing I took issue with was the "witch hunt" comment.  I was careful to state only the facts as I knew them and what I surmised from those facts.

No personal attacks were intended on my part, just product information that I thought others here would like to know.

John B.