On My Radio

old school

I'll have Townes Van Zandt on my radio today, in honor of what would have been his 71st birthday. He died too young at 52, a victim of the drug and alcohol abuse he used to quiet the symptoms of bipolar disorder. I learned about him by hearing Emmylou Harris cover Pancho and Lefty at one of her regular Tuesday night gigs at the long-gone Red Fox Inn in Bethesda MD, back in the misspent days of my youth.

• 3 weeks later...

I was born here in the city
With my back against the wall
Nothing grows, and life ain't very pretty
No one's there to catch you when you fall
Somewhere out on that horizon
Faraway from the neon sky
I know there must be somethin' better
And I can't stay another night

For Jeff on his birthday

The Letter" is a song written by Wayne Carson Thompson and made famous by The Box Tops and their singer, Alex Chilton, released in 1967 on the album of the same name. It reached number one on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and number five on the UK singles chart. The song was popular during the Vietnam War and was also included in the computer game Battlefield Vietnam. Rolling Stone ranked it #363 on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. Produced by Dan Penn with  Those Memphis Boys. Airplane on the outro is straight from a Electra Sound Fx LP that Uncle Eric probably has a copy of. 

• 2 weeks later...