Panel Mounted Connections Questions

Jan McL

4706079129_493b728c9e.jpg

Toward further finessing the cart, I'm thinking it would be great to be able to panel mount the RCA's I use to connect the video monitors (among other things, but this is the first project to come along that makes sense, 'cause it won't screw me up totally if I do it badly) from video village or DIT.

I'm thinking two RCAF panel-mounted connectors on the top side, and on the bottom, 2 BNCF's and two RCAF's so I can connect either BNC video cable or RCAM from a balun. Between the connectors is the 1/16" steel "top shelf" of the Gemini Jr. cart. I stand ready to drill holes.

There would have to be a "box" on the underside of the shelf for the wiring.

I'd have to order panel-mounted connectors.

RCA F: http://www.markertek.com/Cables-Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/RCA-Connectors/TecNec-Cables-Connectors/RE-PFCM.xhtml

BNC F: http://www.markertek.com/Cables-Connectors-Adapters/Video-Connectors/BNC-Connectors/TecNec-Cables-Connectors/RE-BFCM.xhtml

Hopefully there's a pre-made "box" I can use. Low-profile = good.

Any ideas?

:)

-- Jan

Between the connectors is the 1/16" steel "top shelf" of the Gemini Jr. cart. I stand ready to drill holes.

There would have to be a "box" on the underside of the shelf for the wiring.

-- Jan

The panel mount connectors will be fine, good choice --- they are rugged and all take the same standard hole size. I do question your plan to mount the connectors on the surface of the Gemini, Jr. cart --- does this mean the connector face will be facing UP, to the sky, and exposed? Also, punching holes through the 1/16" steel is not going to be easy. It appears that all you are really trying to accomplish is a box the houses several connectors, wired in parallel, to allow you to easily connect the same source signal but with different connectors. Why don't you just do a connector/adatper box and then attach that (velcro?) to some part of your cart.

-  Jeff Wexler

The panel mount connectors will be fine, good choice --- they are rugged and all take the same standard hole size. I do question your plan to mount the connectors on the surface of the Gemini, Jr. cart --- does this mean the connector face will be facing UP, to the sky, and exposed? Also, punching holes through the 1/16" steel is not going to be easy. It appears that all you are really trying to accomplish is a box the houses several connectors, wired in parallel, to allow you to easily connect the same source signal but with different connectors.

>>Why don't you just do a connector/adatper box and then attach that (velcro?) to some part of your cart.<<

-  Jeff Wexler

Jeff's reply is a "sound" idea. A small ABS plastic project box is the answer. Radio Shack sells them. It gives you the option of moving it if you have to plus the connections are weather protected.

Eric

Thinking a little more (with Eric's post) maybe the project box can sit where the podium mounts are and eliminate the cables down the side of the cart, while protecting the connection from the village/DIT.

OK.

Now we're getting somewhere.

:)

You people rock my world. Really.

-- Jan

Jan - you need an EP (1/8") to BNC, right?

Terminate a Neutrik right angle 1/8" connector on one side and have a small Hammond box with panel mounted BNC's. That's it. You can velcro the box anywhere, and it provides physical termination as well as conversion from BNC to your 1/8" as a pigtail (with a rubber grommet in the hole on the box!) on the other side. Two of them - no problem - same as one. :)

-vin

Made a wee video for you, Jeff, so you can see what I'm talking about & need to solve.

- Jan

Thanks for the video, very clear what you are trying to accomplish. Thanks you as well for letting me know about Qik! Very clever video sharing site which I may find very useful. A picture's worth a thousand words...  right, but MOVING pictures, now you've got something.

-  Jeff Wexler

RE: Qik

Jeff, the one I posted was as a kind of one-off, using their higher-quality iPhone app. There's another qik app that lets you broadcast live, but the audio/video quality is (of course) compromised.

The video to which I linked above is 25+MB. For simplicity / speed I can tell Qik in that application to upload that size file (not broadcast live) and send me a shareable link. The other option is to hook up the phone to the computer, import into iPhoto, and upload to YouTube (or wherever).

I'll post a live broadcast Qik video for comparison in due course.

Hope you use and enjoy it, Jeff.

-- Jan

Jan,

The video was very helpful.

First thought I have, is that you could use a video/audio baluns. That would mean nothing to build and it will support your RCA connectors for both video and any audio you might be sending. http://www.svideo.com/aud.html

My second thought is your DC breakout box is too exposed to possible rain and should be down with your power setup.

Just my two cents.

RL

post-284-130815087016_thumb.jpg

post-284-13081508702_thumb.jpg

Hi, Richard,

"Oooooo..." is what I said when I read your post. That's the kind of thinking out of the box I admire.

When working with DIT, DIT usually provides me with two baluns, to which I feed audio and time code. He feeds me video. Maybe I can ask him to give me baluns with RCAF video outs or use my own in that configuration. Bingo.

It's been a long day of conceptualizing. I'm gonna need to sleep on this. Um-hm.

For sure have to mount the Hot Box elsewhere - probably velcro it to the underside of the shelf where it sits. For now, a proof of concept.

Fact is, with those InstaSnakes Jeff's been talking about, I wondered about wiring the cart with cat5. Richard's balun idea pushes that idea forward.

Dinner & sleep.

-- Jan

Jan,

There are a ton of video/audio baluns threads here.

The RCA connector version is not specific - meaning you could plug audio or video or time code (which is another audio signal) in any of the four inputs and it will all work. Since the MuxLabs are so inexpensive I have two sets (4 baluns) so I'm always covered in case one gets trashed.

As far as the hot box, mounting it to the bottom of your shelf would work too.

RL

b7072m.jpg

One last pictorial comment before I wrap it up for the day. The image comes from this page of products:

http://www.jasonfan.com.tw/bnc7.htm

It's a BNC FEMALE TO RCA  FEMALE BULK HEAD

The link above is to a schematic of the device.

One needs to get one's terminology correct. Ahem. Bulkhead. Check.

Richard, looked in my balun drawer and find I have those exact baluns. LOL.

Night, all. And thanks for your eyes and brains.

-- Jan

b7072m.jpg

One last pictorial comment before I wrap it up for the day. The image comes from this page of products:

http://www.jasonfan.com.tw/bnc7.htm

It's a BNC FEMALE TO RCA  FEMALE BULK HEAD

The link above is to a schematic of the device.

One needs to get one's terminology correct. Ahem. Bulkhead. Check.

Richard, looked in my balun drawer and find I have those exact baluns. LOL.

Night, all. And thanks for your eyes and brains.

-- Jan

This kind of connector will pass the cable ground to whatever metal (ie your cart) you mount it to-be careful.

Philip Perkins

This kind of connector will pass the cable ground to whatever metal (ie your cart) you mount it to-be careful.

Philip Perkins

Good point. I have used this sort of panel mount connector before but always the INSULATED type (where the ground is not in contact with the chassis).