Yamaha DM3-D 22-channel digital small format mixer with Dante

LoganSound

26 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

A mixer that is also the recorder needs TC to function in our world.  See Sound Devices, Zaxcom, Aaton, Yamaha DM7, etc etc.

Sonosax SX-ST with recorder option wants a word.  Although, never seen one in real life so I'm pretty sure they are rare?

9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Am not Philip, but my guess and my reasons why are: a lot of these mixing boards also allow basic recording functionality as well (might not be all the full tracks, might be just the stereo mix) and it would be nice to have these with TC as an emergency backup recording to your main recorder (say with BoomRecorder). 

The DM3 only have a two track recorder, but in other hand thru Dante or the USB you can add several recorders, such as two SD970, or two computers

But I will try to investigate reading control, it has a time reader in the mixer

• 3 months later...

After ordering one 6 months ago, I finally got it the other day. 

The Good:

- Motorized faders are as quiet as any I've used. Certainly more quiet than my Avid S1.

- Touch screen is fab

- Software is superior to Behringer/Midas. 

- Boom recorder and it got along great

The Bad

- Only two tracks on the recorder? Come on!

- Has a clock, and even a frame rate selector. No way to jam in or out. No 23.976!

- Limited FX

The Ugly

- .500ms changeover from Primary to Secondary. All my other stuff is seamless

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2024 at 12:56 PM, Michael Capulli said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought the clocking over Dante was excellent and you no longer needed word clock if using Dante 

No need for word clock, correct. Dante uses PTP to good effect, albeit the chattier V1. However, Dante devices don't like changing clocks, as they stay doing whatever they're told. But if you have word clock on some devices, they will auto-switch rates.

On 2/26/2024 at 10:56 AM, Michael Capulli said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought the clocking over Dante was excellent and you no longer needed word clock if using Dante 

You are good with the Dante clock unless your system needs to follow another system's clock (in a complex set up).  If everyone goes Dante then you are probably ok.  If everyone is syncing to a master generator in a production truck etc then your console needs to have its sample rate follow that clock.

On 2/16/2024 at 11:23 PM, Brian Liston said:

After ordering one 6 months ago, I finally got it the other day. 

The Good:

- Motorized faders are as quiet as any I've used. Certainly more quiet than my Avid S1.

- Touch screen is fab

- Software is superior to Behringer/Midas. 

- Boom recorder and it got along great

The Bad

- Only two tracks on the recorder? Come on!

- Has a clock, and even a frame rate selector. No way to jam in or out. No 23.976!

- Limited FX

The Ugly

- .500ms changeover from Primary to Secondary. All my other stuff is seamless

Yamaha is very strict in all consoles about having only stereo recorders on board.  Weird, but just as true for the top of the line "Rivage" as it is for this mixer.  You can get clock i/o in a Yamaha mixer but you have move up the line a ways.  Isn't there a way to add plugins to the mixer?

17 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

You are good with the Dante clock unless your system needs to follow another system's clock (in a complex set up).  If everyone goes Dante then you are probably ok.  If everyone is syncing to a master generator in a production truck etc then your console needs to have its sample rate follow that clock.

You can follow any Dante clock as master or for example with a Avio AES by AES EBU (Enable sync to external)

Best

Suso