Antenna recommendations for old Marantz receiver

Dave Pullmer

Does your unit have a built in antenna as well?  My 2230 does and it seems to work fine here in LA metropolitan area.  For an external, I'd just get a cheap 300 ohm off Amazon if you can place the end of it near a window.  If you're dealing with a lot of metal or a long cable run, maybe stick with a 75 ohm one.

If you are inclined to DIY, then for 75 ohm, try a coax whip like for wireless mics, with an appropriate length for the FM band; or for 300 ohm try a folded dipole like this one, https://hf-antenna.com/003/.  I built a 300 ohm at one point for TV and it worked well enough, although the polarization is different between FM and TV (if that makes much practical difference).

If it has no internal antenna, then I expect even a coat hanger would be a big improvement.

How about the simplest 300 ohm dipole antenna that folks have been using on their FM tuners for years?  I had one in the 70s, I have one now.

https://www.amazon.com/AEDIKO-Antenna-300-ohm-Transformer-Receiver/dp/B097K3Y59N/ref=sr_1_13?crid=24J6YIK4DTNUD&keywords=Dipole+FM+antenna&qid=1689802932&sprefix=dipole+fm+antenna%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-13

D.

Thanks for the links everyone, appreciate it. The receiver is a SR4000, and it very well might have an internal antenna. I’ve got decent reception for some of our city’s main stations, but there are others that are too fuzzy for my liking.

Which got me thinking, do certain radio stations pay more for higher transmitting power? I’d assume so based on my home/driving listening experiences…

I’m also curious, why is it that a 75ohm antenna would do better close to the receiver, but the 300ohm would more than likely require being remoted to a window?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2023 at 2:43 PM, tourtelot said:

How about the simplest 300 ohm dipole antenna that folks have been using on their FM tuners for years?  I had one in the 70s, I have one now.

https://www.amazon.com/AEDIKO-Antenna-300-ohm-Transformer-Receiver/dp/B097K3Y59N/ref=sr_1_13?crid=24J6YIK4DTNUD&keywords=Dipole+FM+antenna&qid=1689802932&sprefix=dipole+fm+antenna%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-13

D.

This looks great! I’m curious, do you fully extend the antenna? It looks pretty big! Around 4.9ft when extended..

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2023 at 2:43 PM, tourtelot said:

D.

Update - I found one of these kicking around in my house in a bag filled with rca cables etc, hooked it up and things are sounding crystal clear! 

it must have been my dads antenna he originally used with the receiver. good stuff 

though I don’t have the “T” fully extended. I’ve kind of snaked it around the sides of my turntable and tascam 4 track that I use to play tapes on. Not perfect antenna orientation but I figure still an improvement from no antenna at all.