Rental - Do You Include Timecode Generators?

TomBoisseau

Tourtalot,

I didn't take it that way. We are all friends here. Helping each other. I learn new things here frequently. I really appreciate the real world test of gear.

Philip,

I hear this a couple times each year, "No sennhieser wireless." LOL. I guess some producers have been burned by lack of range. I doubt they can hear the compander. BUT Sennheisers certainly don't pass the jingling key chain test.

On 9/15/2023 at 4:47 PM, tourtelot said:

Just a sincere question.  Does it make sense that an (in-town) producer would pay less in Iowa (for everything) than an in-town producer in LA?

Actually since the markets in both LA and NYC are so over saturated, unless you’re doing big union jobs or high end commercials, most of the time they pay lower than out of town. It’s a common joke amongst those of us outside those markets to get a producer from either looking to crew up with locals and say “I can get xyz in LA for this rate”

And of course they bring in everyone but sound from LA and they think they’re going to get a discount from a local lol

Yup, JonG. I am a witness to that.

Plus, in my early days of being a freelancer I had, on a couple of occasions, LA producers try to get my rate down only to find out that they were using me to drive the LA guy's rate down, who they really wanted to use. I played that game only twice until I wised up.

I found out because I ended up day playing as an electrician on one of those gigs.

2 hours ago, JonG said:

t’s a common joke amongst those of us outside those markets to get a producer from either looking to crew up with locals and say “I can get xyz in LA for this rate”

That’s just bs negotiation tactics. Just reply with “Sorry, but I don’t know any professional sound mixers that would do it for that”.

On 9/15/2023 at 5:06 PM, JonG said:

I’ve spoken with a lot of mixers all over the country, consulted many rate cards, and as of 2023 most people are charging $500/day for a basic package, that includes a mixer, two wireless, and a boom mic. Everything else is à la carte. Also most people are billing their day rate on a ten hour day instead of a 12. National average is $800/10h. Let’s make this normal. 

Does that $800 include the $500/day kit fee?

Here in rural Canada I recently started charging $450 day rate + $250 kit ($700 CAD total). I've had to be flexible with other productions ($500 CAD total) to book some gigs. Basic kit includes 2x Wireless, 1x Boom, 1x Mixer, 2x IFBs, and timecode for 2 cameras. Anything above I will most likely start to charge more ($50 extra per wireless).

1 hour ago, Ridley said:

Does that $800 include the $500/day kit fee?

Always keep the labor and equipment separate. That should be $850/10h day labor + $500/day for base package - Mixer/Recorder, 1x Boom Mic, 2x Wireless Lav Mic sets. I will include a TC Slate, or sync box for camera, but IFB is extra @ $50 for the Transmitter, and $25/ea per Receiver/Headset. Additional Wireless is $85/channel.