To all my Packer Soundies!

Michael P Clark

I'm a Steelers fan, but having seen the Packers play this season, I have to say that the superbowl will be a great game. I have a lot of respect for the Packers. They've done really well this year, and Aaron Rodgers has really shown how talented of a QB he is. I'd love to see the Steelers win, but I won't be upset if they don't. The Packers have played hard this season, a superbowl win would be a great feather in their cap to finish things off. I just hope there will be a slew of cool commercials this year.

I'm a Steelers fan, but having seen the Packers play this season, I have to say that the superbowl will be a great game. I have a lot of respect for the Packers. They've done really well this year, and Aaron Rodgers has really shown how talented of a QB he is. I'd love to see the Steelers win, but I won't be upset if they don't. The Packers have played hard this season, a superbowl win would be a great feather in their cap to finish things off. I just hope there will be a slew of cool commercials this year.

Dave,

I thought you were a Colts fan!??  A fairweather fan now?

John B., CAS

I'm a Vikings fan and so it's weird to root for the Pack - especially if I talk to friends and family back in the Twin Cities. But besides my feeling that this is going to be a very good game, I've got a feeling that this will be Green Bay's year.

Steve, I'll leave you with this if you haven't already seen it:

Josh

I with you Josh. My wife is from Anoka in MN so it's tough to cheer for the Packers. I'm from the Bay Area and have followed Aaron Rodgers through college at Cal (he's from a city in northern california called Chico) so I'm tempted to route for the Pack just because of the hometown boy. I'm not a Steelers fan so I guess that leaves me with the Pack. It's a tough pill to swallow...

Dave,

I thought you were a Colts fan!??  A fairweather fan now?

John B., CAS

I'm still a Colts fan too. There are several teams that I'm a fan of. Although, I have to say, I thought Eli and Payton were having a "who can throw the most interceptions" contest this year. The Colts offensive line gave Manning no protection, though, so it's not entirely his fault. I've been a Steelers fan since I was a kid when I lived in eastern Pennsylvania. I was an outcast because everyone there are Eagles fans.

I'm still a Colts fan too. There are several teams that I'm a fan of. Although, I have to say, I thought Eli and Payton were having a "who can throw the most interceptions" contest this year. The Colts offensive line gave Manning no protection, though, so it's not entirely his fault...

Don't give up hope.  If we can get everyone healthy next year, the Colts stand a good chance of playing on Superbowl Sunday in our own stadium.

Heck, we could field an amazing team with just our I.R. roster this last year if they were all healthy.

John B., CAS

I'm a SC guy and I have been a huge Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing fan.  Hard to believe he only made first string 3 games into his senior year.  It used to drive me nuts because it was obvious after he blocked two field goals that he was special.  Reminds me of a prime Fred Dryer with that speed.  Having him and Woodley on the same side of field is the best defensive combo since Deion Sanders and (fill in any name here).

Don't give up hope.  If we can get everyone healthy next year, the Colts stand a good chance of playing on Superbowl Sunday in our own stadium.

Heck, we could field an amazing team with just our I.R. roster this last year if they were all healthy.

John B., CAS

That's unless they leave town under cover of a snowstorm!

Irsay-1.jpg

Bob Irsay scolding Mayor Schaffer, who was later

known as "Governor of Baltimore" when he was

elected governor of Maryland.

colts+moving+van.jpg

Colts leave town under cover of darkness in a blizzard.

Best regards,

Jim

I was born in Green Bay and my Ma lives about 7 blocks from Lambeau.

I drink water from a bubbler. Cheese curds squeak after five seconds in the microwave. Beer Cheese soup has some of the best stuff in the world in it! It's called "Pop". Perch Fry on Fridays! Johnsonville Brats! 25 Cent rides at Bay Beach (still!)! --- That's the good stuff!

That being said... GO PACK GO!!!!!

That's unless they leave town under cover of a snowstorm!

They were in Baltimore (in present form) for 31 years.  They've been here in Indy for 26 years which means if history is going to repeat itself, we have 5 more good years.  However, the city just built them a new facility (lack of that kind of support was why leaving Baltimore was under consideration), so it'll probably be a lot longer.

Them sneaking out of Baltimore came about because Maryland passed legislation giving the city of Baltimore the right to seize ownership of the team by eminent domain.  Owner Robert Irsay moved the team out of town under cover of darkness to avoid that action.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Indianapolis_Colts

I'm a major NON-fan of eminent domain.  It's simply a tool the powerful use to steal what they want from the less powerful.

John B., CAS

Them sneaking out of Baltimore came about because Maryland passed legislation giving the city of Baltimore the right to seize ownership of the team by eminent domain.  Owner Robert Irsay moved the team out of town under cover of darkness to avoid that action.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Indianapolis_Colts

I'm a major NON-fan of eminent domain.  It's simply a tool the powerful use to steal what they want from the less powerful.

John B., CAS

As the same history relates, it was after Irsay had entered negotiations with several other cities, not just Indianapolis. The entire thing erupted over both Maryland and Baltimore's unwillingness to fund a new stadium for the Colts which is ironically how Charm City snagged the Browns from Cleveland, buying the team a new ballpark. I'm also pretty sure none of us have to loose any sleep over threats of eminent domain to any NFL franchise owner.

That was an odd time, with Irsay appearing on the 6 o'clock news saying the Colts were in Baltimore to stay and the 11 o'clock report having footage of the team leaving town. There was also a lot of sentiment to try to save the field in question, Memorial Stadium, which was pretty shabby and sat in the middle of a mostly residential area.

You're lucky have a professional football team in Indianapolis. Here in Washington we have a micromanaging owner who makes the most money on his franchise of all NFL ownership and has managed to alienate the fan base by doing stuff like suing widows over wanting to cancel their deceased husband's season ticket contracts, paying slackers like Albert Haynesworth $100 million, letting Donovan McNabb find out he's been benched from the newspaper and suing the local alternative newspaper over a story almost nobody read when it was published 3 months ago. On the other hand, we did have Abe Pollin as a team owner here and he built an arena for his basketball and hockey franchises by paying for it with his own money, not public funds. And that arena brought back a neighborhood that was in decline after the 1968 riots after 25 years. Mr. Pollin recently died after a long illness and and ownership of both teams was assumed by Ted Leonsis, who might well serve as the model sports franchise owner.

Perhaps the best model for sports ownership is Green Bay, where the Packers are owned by over 100,000 local shareholders. And the freedom to pursue sound fundamental team growth and structure for management that arrangement brings is arguably at least partially responsible for the Packers being where they are right now.

Best regards,

Jim