Sound Cart (build #1)

Richard Ragon

Chindha Junior, Dude! Very neatly done, hope it fits you like a glove. I'll be interested to hear your reports as you perfect it after some field use. One (kind of obvious) rec: when you get a battery, mount it way down low! From seeing the little wheels on the upper back handle I'm guessing that you ride this thing on its back in your car? What's the drill on getting it in--ramps or ?

phil p

Thank you everyone.

A couple of things to note. The difference between the steel vs aluminum. Maybe what 10-20 lbs? I felt that since this thing was tall, I was afraid of the tipping. I needed a true solid base in order to handle the largest case (16U), and that weight from the equipment inside which far outweighs the cart weight. I haven't weight it yet though. My last magliner cart was like 400lbs, and impossiable to get up a single step by myself.

The wheels are the largest I can place 'under' the case. I would have liked larger wheels, but I only had a limited space under the case.. placing the wheels on the outside of the case would increase the width. I'm trying to make sure that I can take up a small floor space, to get into smaller spots on set.

Also. If I feel the cart is too tall.. I can simply bolt on another smaller case. We all know though, this is an ongoing thing.. in search of the right tools.

Thanks everyone

-Richard

<We measured a fully equipped Chinhda cart with two side trays, frames for the monitors, brakes, etc. at 123 pounds.>

Dave, wow, that's heavy! Beautiful nevertheless... The smaller version that you sent pictures of will be lighter for sure...

As I mentioned before - I really wonder how my American mixer friends handle cart weight... What if one was shooting on the second floor of a building that had no elevators? Or is this example invalid (if ALL buildings in the US have elevators!) ?

Just wondering...

My carts have always been very lightweight and I have generally carried the cart upstairs when there is no elevator. On some shoots where there may be an elevator but too small capacity (or no permission to use it for gear) the production company has made arrangements for a crane or forklift (or another piece of heavy equipment whose name I have forgotten) to hoist equipment, dollies, etc., up through open windows, doors, exterior access openings. I think the mixers with the heavy carts stay at street level and remote the wireless receivers and/or antennas to the upper floors and run cable to the set. Most of the carts I have seen recently don't look like they are going to be moved anywhere easily, certainly not upstairs! I think the toughest moves I ever made were in Boston on "The Brinks Job", carrying the cart up 10 flights of narrow stairs in one of the walk-ups on Prince Street.

Richard, where can I order some of those awesome boom holders!?!

They are available at The Container Store (local in Los Angeles there are 2 stores, Century City and Pasadena) and most probably through their online store. I went and looked at them in person and I have my doubts that they are strong enough to contain a fish pole with a heavy mic on it and with the cart moving over rough terrain. It may require an additional strap to go over which sort of defeats the beauty of the quick release. Maybe a strap which just get used when the cart moves?

I would be fine with modifying it and attach some simple velcro strap to go over it for set movement purposes. I saw these before at Coffey a while back on that black rastorder cart. I remember asking someone there at the store where I could find just those parts, but they didn't seem to have any answers :P. Thanks!

I went and looked at them in person and I have my doubts that they are strong enough to contain a fish pole with a heavy mic on it and with the cart moving over rough terrain. It may require an additional strap to go over which sort of defeats the beauty of the quick release. Maybe a strap which just get used when the cart moves?

On the set we're on at the moment, we've used the ToolFlex's to hold a Panamic Maxi with a MKH60 or 816 on it, and it's been fine for set-to-set moves, across the lot etc. On location (rough terrain), we strap the pole in a little more, either with a big zip tie around the pole and the frame of the follow cart, or a bungee strap.

I would be fine with modifying it and attach some simple velcro strap to go over it for set movement purposes. I saw these before at Coffey a while back on that black rastorder cart. I remember asking someone there at the store where I could find just those parts, but they didn't seem to have any answers :P. Thanks!

When I put together my mini cart (like the one pictured in another thread made of wood, but mine'll be all aluminium) it'll have a couple of these toolflex holders on it, and I'm modifying it with a thin strap of seat-belt type fabric that is permanently attached to one side of the unit, and closes with a snap button on the other. I've tested it and it works great. Another option is the QuickFist.