Those new CUB01 fuzzies - huh?

Izen Ears

They look great, but they don't close! A simple drawstring or a built in clamp, or even a folded velcro dealio would work, but the way they come there is a big 2" opening that lets air right on through. My workaround is one of those large 3" binder clips, but that hasn't been field tested. (Just got them two days ago and we've been on a stage.)

For how expensive they are and how much we needed them, I'm pretty surprised at this massive oversight. Any suggestions? (I don't like to tape fuzzy things since they tend to pull out the hair and also get sticky, and of course it looks ghetto...)

Dan Izen

Vin, the same people (name escapes me this minute) make a very fuzzy ball thing for the COS-11 (or similar) and it works really well. It's kind of big, but it cuts wind that my other windscreens could not. I never tried any other companies' micro/mini cat type thing for a COS-11, but theirs did the job.

I would definitely like something for the CUB-01 beyond the stock foam.

Hmm, I'm not sure which brand actually I'm embarrassed to say. I tossed the packages immediately, didn't even look at em first since I knew I wanted em. I think it was K-Tek though, they were in a bag stapled with blue labeled paper. I can't even find the invoice!

They are the new small ones that perfectly fit, but are open on the cable side. I got them from Pro Sound.

Anyhow today I finally field tested them and with a 3" binder clip it worked wonderfully. Used it as a background plant and it was windy, and also in a car driven for stunt work. If only it had it's own elegant closure...

If this was your people that made this, I commend the effort and it was much needed, but without a closing mechanism it's going to always have an ugly cheap binder clip on it because it does not close. Or even uglier tape. I hope I am not alone in the opinion that this is a major design flaw.

If the thing had the level of elastic that the little Koala lav fuzzies have it might work without the binder clip.

Dan Izen

Hey Dan,

Not sure which model you received. I did get the a beta version from Bubblebee for the Cub. Should be out in a few weeks. It has worked great in my test and use. It has an elastic band that holds it on. Small footprint also. The beta looks a little rough but the production run will be better is what they have told me.

post-212-0-56137900-1321974995.jpg

post-212-0-91073200-1321975027.jpg

Dan, the CUB-bubbles (Uncle CUB Cubblebee Bubblebee) are not in the US yet, they will be, as Whit said, in a few weeks.

The CUB-bubble is very well closed all the way around, also where the cable is, I promise you.

The tests for the CUB-bubbles (page 7-8-9 in the memo) you can see under LAB - http://www.bubblebeeindustries.com

I am a big time DOOFUS and I'll be the first to admit it! I was not using them correctly so that's that. I was sticking the CUB in sideways like a pita bread, instead of upright like a Lieutenant's hat. Yes the fit is much more snug upright just call me an idiot and you'll be right.

I am surprised at how high it sticks up, a good 2" above the mic. I tried it pita bread style with a clip and it worked but when it got really windy it didn't. I didn't figure out the right way until we were back at the stage so I didn't get a chance to really use it correctly. One thing is that I wonder if when the wind really blows, if it would knock the CUB over to its side because the fuzzy sticks up so high. We'll see. I think I will invest in some "bubbles" also and see which one works better, I think the bubble looks less likely to be blown over since it doesn't seem to stick up at all...

So here I go lifting foot and inserting into mouth ha ha - why am I doing this on Thanksgiving?! I got some possum stew to go eat!

Dan Izen

Hey Marc,

I'm working on that.

Dan,

The reason it sticks up so high is we are using the same principle of a zeppelin but on a smaller scale. There is space between the top of the mic and the inside of the fuzzy. If the fuzzy is right on the mic, without that gap, then it won't work as well.