Renting our Los Angeles house while on location in Nashville

annawilborn

My family and I are going off to Nashville for 10 months from this July thru April and will be renting our 3+2 house while we're gone.  Anyone coming to LA for the fall season and need a partially or fully furnished place?  House is in the Sherman Oaks/Valley Glen area.  See link for photos and details.  Contact me at annawilborn@sbcglobal.net if interersted.  Thanks!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/apa/3843178785.html

My family and I are going off to Nashville for 10 months from this July thru April and will be renting our 3+2 house while we're gone.  Anyone coming to LA for the fall season and need a partially or fully furnished place?  House is in the Sherman Oaks/Valley Glen area.  See link for photos and details.  Contact me at annawilborn@sbcglobal.net if interersted.  Thanks!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/apa/3843178785.html

Just one post and no address for your ad huh? Very suspicious if you ask me. 

I'm a Realtor. Just a few months ago I listed a friends house for sale. Within a few weeks someone took the pictures I posted on the MLS service and created a Craigslist ad to rent the same house. They asked for a deposit and said they'll mail the keys upon receipt of the funds. So, this is why I say your posting seems very odd to me. This kinda stuff unfortunately happens very often now. 

I'm guessing that if you want to seriously rent the house, contact her and she'll give you the address. But I wouldn't offer up the address right away myself. If no one rents it, then it's an empty house - why attach an address to that.

Anyways, it's a sound forum. I don't know Anna, but it looks like as a sound person I/we should: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0928085/

I don't think this is a stranger/troll situation.

Ok, I was able to track down the house and look up the registered owner/title information. This house is not listed for sale anywhere and all pics on the net are old (back when the house was last sold). The owner on Title is named Anna but has a different last name.

So this posting may be legit after all. 

Anna is a legit person working for Joe Foglia on "Nashville" next season, I believe.

Glad to hear someone knows her. 

It's just way too easy these days for someone to have their identity stolen and used for malicious purposes online.

I only raised my suspicions because of all the mortgage/housing scams I see all the time.

"Just one post and no address for your ad huh? Very suspicious if you ask me."

Certainly seemed totally legit to me but maybe that's because I thought everyone knew Anna Wilborn. I totally understand not putting her address down here. JWSOUND is NOT a real estate listing service (obvious) and I think Anna was just giving all us sound folks a personal heads up.

I advised Anna to post here on the oft chance that an out of town sound mixer might see it, who may get an LA based show and would like a short term house rental. What better tenant than another sound person?  Now that we have all become part of the gypsy workforce, finding a housing solution is a now a problem that won't end.

Anna Wilborn has been in the business for many years here in L.A. and is the daughter of long time mixer, now retired, Charles Wilborn. The skepticism is proof that many of the "younger" crowd here does not know all the players in this market.

The skepticism is proof that many people understand that the names and reputations of well known people get easily stolen and spoofed by criminals, and it is important to be careful.  This has happened to me, with the name of a well-known sound person from "this market".

philp

The skepticism is proof that many people understand that the names and reputations of well known people get easily stolen and spoofed by criminals, and it is important to be careful.  This has happened to me, with the name of a well-known sound person from "this market".

philp

Yes, you're absolutely right about this. 

Seems like Richard's comment was directed towards me, which is fine, however not knowing all the "players in the sound business" had nothing to do with my initial concern nor would it make me a better sound mixer for that matter. No big deal, I have a lot of respect for his work and I can see why he would say something like that.  ::)

I've been a "player in the Real Estate business" for over a decade so I'm well aware of the scams out there today and how plenty of people are being spoofed so as to carry out these scams. In my situation, one of my properties I listed for sale had all the pictures taken and reposted in a "for Lease" ad on craigslist. Almost every bit of info on my listing was on the ad so that it appeared legit, even my license number. The scammer had asked potential renters to wire a deposit, in which case he would mail the keys since he was "working out of town at the moment". I had only found out about it because another Realtor called me up and said she wanted to know if my house was for sale or lease since one of her clients saw the Craigslist ad and wanted more info about the lease. 

The Internet is a wonderful place. However, times are changing rapidly and so are the ways of criminals.

Anna,

I wish you all the best on your listing. Your house is beautiful so I'm sure you'll find a renter very quick! 

Interesting thread. I certainly understand Michael Miramontes concern and info about scams and think we should all be careful putting out info on the web. I've been in the LA game for over 35 years and I know Chuck Wilborn, but I never heard he had a daughter in the business, though I guessed there might be a connection when I saw the last name knowing that many follow into their family's trade or craft. I think Johns idea to post here was a solid tip. And last but not least, congrats to Ms Wilborn on getting the job in Nashville. We can all rest comfortably knowing all is well in this matter.

CrewC

Well, happy to start an interesting conversation over a simple house for rent post!  Since I am going away to Nashville, yes, to work on "Nashville" with Joe Foglia for a typical fall to spring television season I thought it might be prudent to try to find a fellow sound person who may be coming to L.A. for the exact same period of time.  To those who don't know me, yes, my dad is Charles Wilborn.  I got married and my legal name is now Anna Mayer (which would be the name on the title to my house, thank you Michael for researching).  But I still work under the name Anna Wilborn for obvious reasons.  Anyway, the house has since been rented, sadly to complete strangers and not someone in our circle.  Ironically, however, they are Christian music composers and will soon be filling my house with cases of sound gear (he listed off his collecion of microphones and I was suitably impressed. You guys would be too. And he wouldn't stop talking about his brand new Lexicon PCM96.  He's quite proud.)  Anyway, I'm glad to know we are all looking out for each other which was precisely why John and I thought this was a good place to post.  Thank you to Mr Wexler, Mr Lightstone, and Mr Coffey for vouching for me.  Sorry I didn't chime in sooner, we've been packing like crazed squirrels. :-)

Check the article in last weeks's New Yorker about the kind of scam mentioned here.  That guy took deposits from 42 people (that they ever found) on an apt. he didn't own before he got caught.

philp

I just read that article (I, like the rest of the world, am a bit behind in my New Yorker reading). Great, astonishing and frightening story (in a real-estate/first-world-problem way):

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/05/27/130527fa_fact_friend

CROWDED HOUSE They thought that they’d found the perfect apartment. They weren’t alone.

[you need to be a subscriber to read the article at the link above, but pirated copies are findable through google]

Anna, glad everything worked out for you. Nashville is the favorite show of one of my daughters...

I emailed her. warning her about diplomats

One funny thing I learned when living in Washington, DC is that it's really difficult for a diplomat or a lawyer to rent an apartment because so many landlords have been burned in the past. One diplomat I knew (young guy, low level, Western European country) had to get his embassy to post a bond equal to an entire year's rent before he could rent a place.