Using EMF-shielding fabric to create a 'pouch' for SD788t

DjGo

Hello group,

I did a search that came up with nothing, so I'd like to post this question. I found this company online selling EMF/RF shielding fabrics. http://www.lessemf.com/fabric.html

What I would like to make is a pouch for my 788t to minimize it's RF-emissions into my Audio Ltd. 2040 receivers.. I allready took all other precautions like recorder on different power-source than receivers, connect receivers to the 788t's mini-xlrs instead of the standard xlr's.., increased the distance between the recorder and the receivers by screwing the CL8 on top leaving the 788t direct to the body and placing the receivers in the outer-front receiver-pouch in my soundbag. But I like to take this a step further by using Neutrik EMC-connectors, and RF-ferrite-chokes on all the cabling in the bag AND use some of that EMF-shielding fabrik.

I wonder if anyone used it and could share the experiences..how effective is this fabric. On the manufacturers site it says the fabric can be grounded by using a simple clamp to a wall-outlet-3pin connector.. but then it's practicality will be reduced..

What about grounding this fabric? can I ground it to the power-supply in my soundbag to increase it's effectiveness? Is grounding needed at all?

Thanks for any insights,

kindest regards,

Diego

Hi Diego,

Here's the problem with grounding: At 600 MHz a quarter wavelength (antenna) is 5 inches. If the wire you use for grounding is a substantial part of 5 inches it will radiate very effectively and perhaps make the RF problem worse. If it is longer than 5 inches it will either radiate or do very little. You really can't win. I wish I could find an article I read years ago, but in the article the writer stated, "A ground can be capacitive, inductive or resistive. It can act like an antenna, a transmission line, or like nothing at all. It rarely acts like a ground."

The best that you can do with a metal fabric pouch is enclose the offending unit completely in the pouch and ground (touch) the pouch to the case of the unit. This would might work well except you are going to have wires coming in and out of the pouch. Basically, you can try it but be prepared for probable disappointment.

The most dependable solution is to get the receiver antennas away from the offending unit such as with a coax antenna. Inches do count.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Thanks Larry,

very helpful indeed! I don't expect miracles using the fabric, but I'm willing to try everything and experiment a bit. Thanks for explaining the grounding part..

Right now I am in Kyrgystan (radio-mic-paradise RF-wise) and I am getting astounding range by just placing my dipoles on a boom, away from the recorder.

Lectro needs to make some crossed dipole beanie hats with the antennas taking the place of the propeller. This would get the antennas properly away from the recorder and also gain a little altitude. We should be able to get that together by very early April.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

I created a pouch made of this fabric for a zax hop. Yes, I noticed less rf on my receivers, but what helped just as much/even more was relocating the zax hop tx to my shoulder and powering it with batteries, as opposed to my bag power.

Like they say in the real estate business, there's only three important things about real estate, "Separation, separation, separation" or something like that.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I do not think that's the 788T to emit radio frequencies that disturb your receivers. Also because the 788T has an external structure antimagnetic and for this reason it is quite heavy.

I give an example. I keep my cell phone next to the recorder and if a call comes in while it is recording no interference is recorded. So if no radio frequency disturbance enters, it is not possibIe it can get out.

Sergio.

I do not think that's the 788T to emit radio frequencies that disturb your receivers. Also because the 788T has an external structure antimagnetic and for this reason it is quite heavy.

I give an example. I keep my cell phone next to the recorder and if a call comes in while it is recording no interference is recorded. So if no radio frequency disturbance enters, it is not possibIe it can get out.

Sergio.

Accepting interference and not having an issue, an giving off interference are two VERY different things. Sound Devices themselves have admitted that the 7-series recorders give off RF in certain frequencies (as do all electronics) and have provided various solutions for users.