664 fader knob replacement...

audio911

As long as the post shape and depth on your replacement pot is the same (and the diameter isn't TOO large), you should be fine using anything you like.

Now, in terms of what you could use (there is a bit of assumption here): The 552 and 664 knobs are pretty much identical. I have seen a 552 customised with the knobs of a 302 or MixPre on it. I think you could probably use the knobs from other SD mixers without too much hassle. Go into a sound dealer and see if they've got any spares you could try on.

If you want something custom, you'll have to work it out yourself, though I'd say SD would be willing to give you the necessary shaft shape and size to help narrow your search.

thanks, Justin, that is the long version of what I said....

You know, except for the part where I offered a practical solution. ;D

Anyway, I DID just try it, the 302 knobs do NOT fit on the 552 shaft, as it's a different shape. Though, considering they're plastic, they could probably be modified pretty easily.

Are there other knobs you like on a different mixer? If so, you could just try them. I played around with swapping the little knobs on my Zaxcom Fusion. I first tried the big ole Deva IV knobs, but eventually settled on 442 knobs (that are *slightly* smaller than 552 knobs, enough that it matters).

I bought my DevaIV and 442 knobs through a sound dealer (Gotham).

One other things to check, the shaft size was the same, but the Fusion shafts were 180 degrees off of the SD (and now Nomads). If you remove a knob on look on the top of the shaft, it looks like a "D" where the set screw hits. The Fusion with 442 knobs at "0" look like they are at about 1 O'clock. I never got around to redrilling them.

I would either measure your posts, or email SD and ask for specs, then google for knob companies. I'm sure some will sell you 6. You may not get quite the choices and price breaks, but you can find options. Offhand places like digikey.com sell knobs if you know the measurements, and they will sell you a few.

I replaced the factory knobs on my 442 with the knobs from a mixpre because the mixpre knobs were smaller in diameter and a bit taller. I don't recall if the 442 knob shaft was a D shape with a set screw, splined or a split shaft but it worked just fine for me.

Eric

They are all "D" shaped. 442, 302, as well as the Zaxcom ones. I don't remember what SQN are like. The plastic 302 ones don't use a set screw, but the metal ones all do. If you are going 3rd party knobs with pointers, just check the orientation of the set screw. They may end up "backwards" like I described above with the Deva vs 442 knobs.