New sound cart project

thope

After taking so much inspiration from this site when designing my new cart I'd thought I'd post some work in progress pictures of where I'm at. I based my cart on 2 carts I likes the most... Thanks simon and devendra! post-3551-136032973807.jpg post-3551-136032975702.jpg post-3551-136032977529.jpg I'll post more in the next week with an explanation of how it works

I think the cart looks great! I really like what you have done with the wheeled base --- this has not been done often before where the base frame is sized almost exactly like the case that it supports. This provides a much more integrated approach, I think, than the standard case-based carts that usually look like a cart that has a case set on top. I like the inset flush rear wheels also. I think the only thing you lose doing it this way is being able to put the back lid on while it is sitting on the base. It looks like the uprights would restrict putting the back lid on. Front lid access (important) looks good. Also, is the case a shockmount-style case? Do you intend to ship the case loaded with the gear? Lastly, is the base steel or aluminum?

I like it. Similar to mine in that the base and rack create flat sides. Great for strapping in to trucks.

Mine is a "side address" rack cart, allowing easy access to the back. I like being able to keep the back door on. Keeps the dust out.

I think you may discover that this will be heavy when loaded with gear, also like mine. You may find the little wheels will make getting around quite hard on some stages and/or locations.

But the design is very efficient. I like that!

Hi guys thanks for your thoughts / comments. The cart is designed around not having the lids on during operation. The butterfly clasps that hold the lids on will mate with clasps yet to be welded on the steel frame. That's what supports the rack case onto the frame. I don't intended to access the rear during operation. There is my power distro and a patch panel at the back and I'll cover the remaining rack spaces with blank panels to kelp out the dust. The job I'm building it for requires filming on a train as well as a few quick turn around plane trips, so yeah my intention was to keep most of the gear racked for flights ( ill take out the fusion ). No doubt it's going to be on the heavy side but iv just had to come to terms with that! It's in getting power coated so I'll post more in about a week once I've got it back.

You guys may be right. I tried to find the biggest wheels that would still fit inside the frame. I never really considered if that would make it hard to move. I'll see how it goes. I can ways extend the axel Nd out bigger wheels on later. Crew, I think I'm pretty low and short too !! Cause the handles are at the tight height for me!

I'm not so sure the small inboard wheels will be as much of a problem as some of you may be indicating. My cart no. 4 (17 movies in every kind of location and terrain) has very small wheels and they are even more inset than the ones pictured here. It is true that my cart was not as tall and also probably had to support a lot less weight. I wouldn't worry about it right now --- continue the build and if it turns out to be a problem you will just have to re-work the base.

My cart no. 4 is pictured below

post-1-0-66483800-1360378429_thumb.jpg

looks like a great design ! did you make the frame out of Aluminium or steel ? I went with aluminium to save weight.

I also just recently added an access panel in the back of my case. I only had the patch bay at first, but having the access panel makes it so much easier to gain access to the back of the gear. I would highly recommend it.

post-55-0-46056300-1360388650_thumb.jpg

The access panel is a good idea for sure. I'll keep the lid at the back off. Maybe I'll put one of those access panels at the back. I went with the thinnest steel that would still be strong enough. I'm hoping to throw the steel frame in the cargo hold of a plane as is , so felt aluminium might not fare as well.

Even better than rack rail - he is using DATA rack rails - and there is probably a better term for them, but I don't know it.

Rob Stalder uses these on his fine line of Rastorder Carts, and I am a proud / ecstatic owner of one.

These will never need replacing or suffer any rail damage from improper screws or screw accidents, as they hold "Cage Nuts".

Cage Nuts lock into those squares, and provide the "threaded bolt" to screw your gear into.

If anything needs changing or gets damaged or "buzzed up" in any way, you just replace the Cage Nut.  If for some reason you want to use different screws or a different threading, you just replace the cage nut.

I think Rob is on the other side of that huge island / continent.

I'm betting that Data Racks are far more common in professional sound and video installations in Australia than they are here.

MF

Richard - is the bottom supporting cart your design? How is it for balance?

Looks great, and I like the (what appears to be a ...) handle bar near the front wheels... 

MF

Mike,  The balance is great.  It's designed to tip backwards, and you pick up the handle and roll it into the van.  It's actually hard to tip over.  The base frame is steel square tubing, and it's very ridged, so there's no play. The heavy items stay on the bottom like the power units, and the mixer, and the lighter items are on the top like the venue and monitors.  Plus, when you place a battery on the bottom, it becomes even harder to tip over.  Very happy rolling it around on all kind of surfaces.  Only issue, might be in the 200-300lb range, and hard to get up even one step. solved with a few hands on set though.

The bar on the front is Chinhda manufactured.  It acts as a foot rest set up, and a hand hold on loading.

-Richard

Richard -

I really like it, and I thought there was something Chinda-esque about that bar !

Did you personally design the rolling base and implement that bar?

I have one of those shock-proofed SKB Cases and it can be a beast... It's on simple casters and not yet prepped for any rugged exterior use --  I'm going to bet that most of that 200-300lb weight you are wrangling is "case".... 

Not second-guessing here, but wondering if you explored potentially lighter options in that area...  I'd say that particular case is the epitome in available, "racked" protection, and I'll bet that's what you were looking towards ...  there has been some debate here on the full necessity of that maximum shock protection it affords.  

MF

Richard -

I really like it, and I thought there was something Chinda-esque about that bar !

Did you personally design the rolling base and implement that bar?

I have one of those shock-proofed SKB Cases and it can be a beast... It's on simple casters and not yet prepped for any rugged exterior use --  I'm going to bet that most of that 200-300lb weight you are wrangling is "case".... 

Not second-guessing here, but wondering if you explored potentially lighter options in that area...  I'd say that particular case is the epitome in available, "racked" protection, and I'll bet that's what you were looking towards ...  there has been some debate here on the full necessity of that maximum shock protection it affords.  

MF

Mike,

I designed the whole thing. Drew it up, welded it, powder-coated, and bolted it together.  I've been thinking up a webpage showing the build, but I just never got around to it.

What people don't realize is that the case is simply plastic. Its large, but doesn't weigh anything.  The weigh of the cart is always the equipment.  Combine this with all the wires, power units, cords, lights, monitors, etc..  The actual case, and frame only weigh a fraction of the gear weights.  Same thing with the Magliner that I used before.. I can pick up the Magliner with 2 hands, but load it down with the gear, and boom.. 300 lbs.

-Richard