USA Postal address services

JackHenry

Does anyone on JWSound, from outside the USA, use any of the 'USA Postal Address' services?

I mean  this sort of thing

Here in Australia, the prices for audio products are a very high percentage more than in the USA. And some retailers, as you know, will only ship to a USA address.

For example, I just ordered some Mogami 2930 from the US. In Australia it's close to $14/metre. In the US it's around $4.12/metre. Anything over about 12 - 15 metres and it's worth the shipping from the US. So for the 50 metres I ordered, it's a no-brainer.

Does anyone have experience with any of the services?

And before you say it Senator, yes I know that 'someone' has experience with them. And yes, I've searched the forums.

Regards
John

I use ship2anywhere USA, which gives me an address in Newark, New Jersey. They ship to Australia via DHL (3-5 days) and even combine packages. If I order a bunch of connectors from Mouser US and a bunch of others from MarkerTek/Redco they'll bundle them all together rather that shipping multiple packages. I'm sure the shipping price is somewhat inflated but there are no other charges for the service.

Excellent. How do they know you've got multiple packages coming in from different retailers? Or do they just sit on a package for a few days.

The pricing here is a killer. I'm looking at upgrading from my SD702 to either a 788 or Nagra VI later this year. The Au prices are a LOT different.

Jack, try calling Georgina at John Barry's for an equal or better price on a 788 as any where else over seas.

You really are better off buying locally for big ticket items like a 788 when it comes to warranty. The last 788 I bought from Georgina had a weird issue and I had it swapped out for another brand new unit the next day. Try doing that when you buy over seas.

Anyway, try talking to her and see what happens.

Good luck

Mega

Excellent. How do they know you've got multiple packages coming in from different retailers? Or do they just sit on a package for a few days.

The pricing here is a killer. I'm looking at upgrading from my SD702 to either a 788 or Nagra VI later this year. The Au prices are a LOT different.

In the case of Ship2Anywhere, they don't send a package to you unless you authorise them to. So anything that gets delivered goes into a warehouse, and if it's able to be combined, you can choose to do that too.

I live in French Polynesia and use myus.com all the time. It works very well, they have got great shipping rates with DHL. Sometimes you can save up to 100 dollars for shipping compare to ordering directly with the online shop.

Also they've got the personnal shopper service that order anything for you, very usefull especially for those website that require US address for shipping and also US address for the billing and they charge you about 6% of the price of the item you want to order.

They can consolidate mulitple package into one, take photo and check if the item you order is in good shape and match the invoice.

Just have to check if the customs of your country is ok  with myus. In my country our local custom agents don't really like to deal with myus packages because too many of us took advantage of the "change the declared value" option >:D

Don't forget, you WILL get hit for import taxes and duties if you brought in a high value item like a 788, so factor that into your costings.

Jon is absolutely correct. The duty on a 788 is 2%. They then they add the cost of the 788 before duty and the cost of the carriage and charge Vat at 20% on this and finally add the 2% of the 788 cost. It can be a an expensive excercise.

Malcolm Davies A.m.p.s.

I'd say it HEAVILY relies on who fills out the paperwork, and what the device or thing you're importing actually is. For example, 'wireless transceivers' carry NO import duty, while other classifications similar ('wireless transmitters', 'long range antenna' etc) carry varying amount of duty. And obviously if the item is declared to have a value UNDER $1000 AUD on the day of import, it will be duty free regardless of what it is.

I did a comparison between ReShip and the ParcelBound service. ReShip is considerably cheaper in shipping costs. Also I notice that with ParcelBound, when using the 'Shipping Calculator'  if you use Imperial and the corresponding Metric dimensions & weights, there is an error of around $450 in the shipping cost. I've notified them and they've reproduced the problem and are in the process of investigating and fixing it.

FYI I used 12x12x10 inches & 22lbs ($143.67) and 30x30x25 cm & 10 kg ($594.86)