Why do we always lose the blame game?

I was working on a shoot a while ago and had an issue for one (1) sit down interview with a wireless camera hop. So I said hold one moment and hardwired into camera in less than two minutes. Problem solved, and there was NO DELAY to the day's schedule. Wrap was after that interview - an hour and a half or so.

Producer gets a phone call from someone up top about something schedule related just before we roll on the interview and immediately he says to whoever he's talking to, "Yeah, we're running behind. We've been having hours of audio issues with the camera and he's still working to get it right so like, I don't know, I'll get back to you."

No joke. And this producer for the most part was a nice person who seemed to do right by his crew. I think there is a culture of 'use the sound mixer as the scapegoat' in productions, and it really needs to stop. I just replied, "The problem is solved, there is no delay from sound department. I am ready to roll right now."

And that comment was not-so-tactfully ignored.

So I smiled and nodded, went about my job as a professional and moved along. Can't win 'em all.

You think it's just PSM that get under the bus? Ha! Egos

I was working at a college of higher learning, and every week I had to go into editing room and show the instructor where the "Audio Follows Video" button was in FCP, or FCsemiP as one here calls it.

But this time I think I had to leave before 7pm ... I had a family.. maybe I had to pick up my daughter or something.

So "Advanced Editing" instructor complained to someone in the office that editing computer would not sync, and I got "The Phone Call".........

Shoveit.wav

I got an email recently myself a long winded one even with waveform examples from this one company. Nothing they said made any sense whatsoever. Things like the boom should have been on four tracks etc. The last sentence basically negated everything else...it said that despite all, everything was usable in the end. I sent a polite but thorough email regarding the situation and wanting to talk to the post audio ppl... because I know there weren't any. I of course got no reply...

the worst is an assistant editor w/ about 2 weeks experience cc'ng a panicked email to post,agency producer and production heads about the sound being "bad".

turns out the problem was his import settings.

this has happened a LOT the past couple years..digital growing pains.

I called him and gave him very terse schooling and let him know to email or call me directly to hopefully resolve any issues before sounding the alarms.

I was just on a challenging job the last few days. Great shoot but still challenging for me.

Anyways, the editor was complaining the audio was out of sync by one frame. She's very anal. So me and the DIT looked at it. Now how can I describe the DIT to you. He's been in the business for over twenty years. His knowledge is unbelievable. He has worked in post audio. I highly respect him. His name is Rick Youck, some of you might have met him. He goes to NAB every year.

So me and him take a look at it. We were shooting on the Epic, I was recording with my Nomad sending timecode and audio guide track with an ERX plus timecode slate. Most takes were literally half a frame or less off. We both just shook our heads. In the end he would go through all the takes and visual sync them.

It's funny how silly this business can get.

the worst is an assistant editor w/ about 2 weeks experience cc'ng a panicked email to post,agency producer and production heads about the sound being "bad".

Some of the very worst screaming matches I've had in my career have been with insecure, ignorant assistant editors who overreact to minor problems that are easily solved. We used to have a staff engineer who had been through Avid training, and we'd grab him and make him painstakingly talk the assistant through the process of solving the problem they were confronted with. Poor guy died of a heart attack a few years ago, and I don't doubt some of it was due to the stress of 20 years of dealing with idiots in the edit bay.

Anyways, the editor was complaining the audio was out of sync by one frame. She's very anal. So me and the DIT looked at it. ...Most takes were literally half a frame or less off. We both just shook our heads. In the end he would go through all the takes and visual sync them.

I would say, "wow! Only 1 frame off? I'm glad that's all it is. Do you want me to come in and show you how to slide those takes one frame, or would you rather I check the manual and explain how to do a 1-frame offset for sound for the whole project? You are aware that there's a 1-frame delay in video processing in the camera, right?"

At the same time, I might suggest she hire an assistant editor more competent than she is at fixing this stuff. OK, maybe I only would think this and not say it, but jesus... this crap is Editing 101. They gotta know going in that the Red is dodgy with timecode. This is not the sound department's fault or responsibility.

Some of the very worst screaming matches I've had in my career have been with insecure, ignorant assistant editors who overreact to minor problems that are easily solved. We used to have a staff engineer who had been through Avid training, and we'd grab him and make him painstakingly talk the assistant through the process of solving the problem they were confronted with. Poor guy died of a heart attack a few years ago, and I don't doubt some of it was due to the stress of 20 years of dealing with idiots in the edit bay.

I would say, "wow! Only 1 frame off? I'm glad that's all it is. Do you want me to come in and show you how to slide those takes one frame, or would you rather I check the manual and explain how to do a 1-frame offset for sound for the whole project. You are aware that there's a 1-frame delay in video processing in the camera, right?"

At the same time, I might suggest she hire an assistant editor more competent than she is at fixing this stuff. OK, maybe I only would think this and not say it, but jesus... this crap is Editing 101. They gotta know going in that the Red is dodgy with timecode. This is not the sound department's fault or responsibility.

Careful Marc, remember that everyone gets a trophy - everyone's a professional.

Careful Marc, remember that everyone gets a trophy - everyone's a professional.

Some are more professional than others.

On the other side of it: I've gotten calls from really good assistant editors who say, "hey, you really F'd this up, but don't worry -- I fixed it. Next time, be sure to do A, B, and C, because I really need it done that way." I have no problem when mistakes come up in a hurry and the client gets it, comes up with a solution, and moves on. Some of these assistants are first-class standup people who just want to get the job done and keep their demanding editors and producers happy. 

But syncing is stupid, basic stuff that they should know by now. Everybody knows the Red camera is dodgy with timecode. Alexa? No issues.

you should be a politician

I have no tongue left from having to bite it for 30 years. A lot of this boils down to "I'm thinking this, but I'm not saying it out loud."

I would say, "wow! Only 1 frame off? I'm glad that's all it is. Do you want me to come in and show you how to slide those takes one frame, or would you rather I check the manual and explain how to do a 1-frame offset for sound for the whole project? You are aware that there's a 1-frame delay in video processing in the camera, right?"

At the same time, I might suggest she hire an assistant editor more competent than she is at fixing this stuff. OK, maybe I only would think this and not say it, but jesus... this crap is Editing 101. They gotta know going in that the Red is dodgy with timecode. This is not the sound department's fault or responsibility.

Yah Marc it was pretty silly. And it wasn't a frame off, it was half or less!!!

I think she does have an assistant but the DIT was doing it on site because he was more than capable.

As for the editor she is very good. She cuts Hell on Wheels but she is a perfectionist.

Never loose it!

On location speak up about your problems and needs

Put problems on your sound log

If someone contacts you after a shoot tell them what the problems were and if if you received help

We all are faced with situations we did not set up select or cause

Only we have ears and judgement other don't

mike